Powerline question

I’ve just today installed my three new Powerlines. All seems well and I’m pleased with the sound. However I’ve just noticed that there is a plastic/rubber sleeve around one of the cables where it exits the mains plug. On the other two cables this sleeve is further down the cable and not near the mains plug. Is this normal or is something wrong? Thanks.

I think you mean the sleeve where the serial number is stamped in and AFAICT this is all it is for. If yours are like mine, you can slide them wherever you feel most comfortable with it.

1 Like

Thanks that’s all I wanted to know. I wasn’t sure if the sleeve was some kind of strain relief next to the mains plug and the other two further away were faulty.

Not to underestimate the surprises by Naim magic, but to the best of my knowledge it’s fine. Enjoy your new insanely expensive power cables :wink:

2 Likes

The sliding bands allow you to position them identical on every PL. Very calming for my OCD. :sunglasses:

I’m sure you know Pete but… In my experience the PLs are good out of the box but the sound is likely to get all over the place during burn in. Randomly swinging up and down in quality, it gave me the creeps a few times (‘I hope this is not the sound they settle down with’). The four PLs that I have all settled down between 1 and 2 weeks. Sit tight. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks Suedkiez. Insanely expensive is right - but they do look very smart! Less of the ‘home made’ appearance of many high-end cables covered in braiding and heat-shrink!

I like my insane PowerIgel as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks RvL. I fitted them yesterday and was surprised at how good they sounded straight from the box. But I’ll brace myself for the inevitable!

1 Like

The sliding serial number sleeve allows the user to position it for optimum SQ. Try it in different positions. You may find it’s different for source components and amplifiers. Do this before trying cable lifters. Let us know your findings.

2 Likes

My understanding on further investigation is that one positions it nearer the mains plug for a more forward sound and then sliding it further down towards the IEC progressively creates a more laid-back presentation. Postioning it so that it touches the IEC creates a very valve-like sound.

Odd that the instructions make no mention of this tuning facility. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You could be onto something!

That’s very helpful advice Clive. Unfortunately it arrived three weeks too late for me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.