Powerlines

I think Naim would certainly hope and expect that most Naim owners who tried the Powerline in their system would hear it make an appreciable difference for the better. Whether they felt it was worthwhile to spend that money though on “just a mains lead” is perhaps more open to debate, but again I reckon that Naim would certainly hope and expect that their customers would feel it to be so and order one accordingly.

Oh, and let’s not forget that when you reach 500 series level the Powerlines come in the box as standard.

4 Likes

I agree that many naim customers are happy with their naim leads, why wouldn’t they be? After all they are very good and designed to complete the naim sound.

However several of your other points are pure speculation.

How do you know where the vast majority of naim customers are - they might all be here (registered) or just visiting?

This is the real world for many experienced naim owners.

You cannot know how different people would react to different tests and how they perceive value.

5 Likes

Well maybe not but you’re seemingly ignoring that the point you are making has been discussed many times over.

Aftermarket options are commonplace, from OEM and 3rd parties. They are options, they are available all around us, for all sorts of goods.

1 Like

How do you know you’re unable to tell a difference when you haven’t tried a powerline.

I’ve noticed improved SQ from a lowered noise floor on my SU, 272, and 250DR and can blind test them easily. If you can’t then you should be grateful you can save your $$. In fact you could probably free up some funds and downsize since you can’t hear any difference anyway.

If i was your dealer i’d be urging you to add a XPS DR or 555 PSU to your NDX 2 before adding in any PowerLines…also do you have your equipment sited on a dedicated rack such as a Fraim?

I found a noticeable uplift on the SN3 but not so much on the XPS2 for the cds3. Will try another day on the hicap but would like to try two at a time ideally.

1 Like

There are plenty of Naim users on pfm and other audio forums enjoying posh power cables.

I lived happily with my all Naim system for 15 years with the standard cables as I had no idea what better ones could do - ditto rack, cable dressing, dedicated mains radial, and upgraded Naim boxes.

1 Like

To be honest, the whole issue has been discussed many times over - there are probably dozens of threads on the same topic, and inevitably with the same comments: most on this forum believe that Naim Powerlines will improve their system no end, some will claim that there’s no discernible improvement, and the rest will say that they are not sure… Sorry for being cynical - I do have four Powerlines though…

3 Likes

In other words’ It’s just peace of mind’ :wink: ATB Peter ( I’ve got 4 too and have tried alternatives to no avail btw.)

Lol! WHEN you reach 500! I think 252/300 is my end system, even if you do get power lines with 500… maybe you know otherwise??

Like I said, it works for me, and I’ve nothing to prove. Whether you want to use any cables is entirely up to you.

I have a 252/300 like you. I have done blind tests with others. We could tell the difference. Those that improved were retained and those that didnt were not. For me it was worthwhile and made me happy. I find it odd that some feel the need the question such choices as if it almost offends them. There is no right or wrong here, just personal preference, and debating it is tiresome. Unless of course being tiresome gives you pleasure.

8 Likes

My first PL went on my NAP300 as that’s where I found it worked best, much like @HappyListener suggested. The second went on my NAC252.
After that, I found full fat PL’s on anything else was a bit too much so I settled on PL Lite’s for the rest of the system.

1 Like

This may be foolish, but bear with me…
How do you use Powerline’s on Pre Amps?
By this are we meaning on the PS’s that are feeding the Pre’s, like HiCap’s FlatCap’s etc…?:thinking:

Yes that would be the way to use a Powerline on a pre. When I had a 282 I had one PL on the Hicap and one on the Napsc. Now with the 82 it’s one on the Hicap only since the older napsc doesn’t have an iec inlet.

I have PLs on most of my Naim kit;

• NAP 250 x 2
  • SuperCap
  • HiCap x 2

I have two DIY cables on my two NAPSCs.

And finally, a Mark Grant mains cable on my Linn Klimax streamer as this needed a smaller IEC plug.

I found that the PLs did make a big improvement.

DG…

It makes sense to use power lines everywhere in the system. At least that is my experience. I have one on my power distribution block and all my gear.

3 Likes

A Napsc 2 on the Nac 82 is a good upgrade,gives a cleaner sound.

I had both napsc and napsc2 for a while and agree. It gets cleaner. The napsc’s were bundled with their respective 82 and 282 so couldn’t keep it and I find the original napsc sounds good to. It’s the same with the old Hicap vs Hicap dr. It becomes cleaner but maybe not better. Different for sure. Better, possibly.