Price increases

According to various news sources shipping costs have risen by 300% since November thanks to the increased risks posed by attacks on shipping travelling through the Red Sea.

2 Likes

Interesting question. Thereā€™s the skirmishes happening in the Red Sea at present, but I wouldnā€™t have thought that is filtering through the economically yetā€¦.

Strangely, I only just the other week read an article that the shipping industry was facing a huge downturn (after the madness during the Covid years) and major container companies such as Maersk were laying off thousands of jobsā€¦ā€¦:roll_eyes::man_shrugging:

Edit: BBC article found ā€“

But Naimā€™s shipping costs have gone upā€¦.:thinking:

SC

2 Likes

Some pretty interesting comments here as to the validity of price increasesā€¦ā€¦probably @Richard.Dane put some more fuel on the fire (sorry Richard). Naim are facing huge increase in shipping costsā€¦.but Muso prices probably wonā€™t be increased. Isnā€™t the Muso made in China so has to be shipped to the UK? Please correct me if I am wrong :expressionless:

1 Like

Ok, but not every product in the world needs to pass through the Red Sea, yet prices have gone up on everything I buy it seems.

2 Likes

I would guess that Mu-So stocks are usually held in large numbers already. Also itā€™s much the most price-sensitive product that Naim make.

According to the news sources Insurance costs are up sharply and so are wages to the crews. If the Red Sea is avoided you have a longer journey and extra fuel being burned.

1 Like

Just out of interest, do any of Naimā€™s components actually come via the Red Sea? I thought the cases and boards were made in Europe?

I wonder if people go on the Audi forum, if there is one, and ask for justification of price increases? Do people write to Heinz to ask them? Itā€™s odd that there is such a weight of expectation on Naim.

I donā€™t know Richard, I live in Canada and even locally made or grown products are way up. For example,Four litres of milk is up at least two dollars since Covid started. Pretty sure the cows are here in North America that supply it.

1 Like

I donā€™t know how much - certainly plenty of electronic components only come from the Far East these days.

However, my understanding is that the knock on effect is that all shipping costs have been affected and pushed higher thanks to current events.

Itā€™s the ā€˜I donā€™t believe these pricesā€™ and ā€˜weā€™ve been taken for mugsā€™. Pure paranoia. Itā€™s dangerous thinking.

ā€¦and people seem to forget thereā€™s a war going on in Europe.

For what itā€™s worth; incidents in the Red Sea have been going on for some time before itā€™s come into general public awareness.

Thereā€™s a difference between a conspiracy and plain olā€™ unscrupulous fat cats. It is definitely true that some greedy actors have soured the view of manufacturers and retailers in the eyes of everyone. Myself included.

Because both honest and dishonest alike give exactly the same reasons.

3 Likes

We all love a good conspiracy theory though donā€™t we? :wink:. Gives us something to bang on about.

Given Naim is U.K. based, there are other factors at play too. International trade faces obstacles that continue to impact.

Perhaps youā€™d like to criticise my curtains or the colour of my room as well.

5 Likes

Deep breath time?

And thatā€™s relevant?

Absolutely. All you can do is vote with our wallets.

Well, in terms of the Covid responses, itā€™s just proves a simple truism that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

As for Naim, they have equity investment owners that will want a return for doing nothing other than being investors who make money off others doing the work, no conspiracy there, thatā€™s how some people think an ethical income is earned.

2 Likes

That article was from the beginning of November. If you take a look at the news series since then, particularly this month, youā€™ll see a rather different picture.

1 Like