Price increases

In fairness, that’s really nice.

Now if the owls were skeletons or vampires or something like that I can imagine Mrs Willy bringing home such a cushion.

Willy.

1 Like

Lovely people come from Winnipeg.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Naim’s entry level pre and power isn’t £15/16k though, the PSU is optional. I’m not in any way suggesting that £11400 (UK recommended pricing) is remotely affordable for the majority, but it’s slightly more so than £15k. And it comes with a free streamer :wink:

1 Like

Just got this from my local dealer:

I can’t afford the old (existing) prices, let alone any higher ones, so on this occasion something I probably won’t have to worry about. It does rather put it all in to perspective though, as a hobby and means of relaxation it’s becoming increasingly out of many folks reach in terms of disposable incomes.
A good example is a recent conversation with my local friendly dealer who when discussing a recent manufacturer offer (not Naim) pointed out to take advantage of it I had only to spend at least £3000 to qualify.
I imagine the old classic and vintage products will become increasingly appealing to many and those who still have the ability to do major system upgrades and swops becoming increasingly sparse.

4 Likes

Please share.

I remember when the ND5 XS 2 was being launched and i was saving up for it, the figure quoted was £1,999 at that time. Just as i got there the price went up to £2,199 before it had even made it to the dealer’s shop floor! Oh well, time it was then to flog the cat! :rofl:

1 Like

Linn/Utopik PSU upgrade offer, any spend on new (Linn) items over £3k qualified for a “free” Utopik PSU (usually £1350).

2 Likes

It was the same for the new Linn LP12 bearing a few years ago - free if you spent £3000 on other upgrades. I needed a few things probably, primarily as I thought I’d damaged my AT OC-9 cartridge, but I’m far from certain it just doesn’t sound different.

No harm in offers, it’s just the way he rang me up and said I had to spend “only” £3k to benefit from said PSU.
We had a conversation about dentist bills and new cars and I wished him a Happy Christmas :joy:

1 Like

In some ways perhaps quite nice for the dealer to contact you in person? I think I got an e-mail about the Utopik thingy from Linn but don’t have any suitable products even if I had the cash (which I don’t).

Personally I’d have been more peeved if a dealer hadn’t offered it personally and had to others.

1 Like

I’ve been buying stuff from him for over 18 years now, always been fair and helped me out with trade ins and ex demo stuff to ease the financial burden on my various upgrade journeys.
There probably was a time when I’d have thought £3k was reasonable, but I’d struggle to justify it on a whim these days, however good it may be!

1 Like

Fully understand, and for me it’s not just about affordability but also realising my financial priorities may have been selfishly skewed in the past.

Once joked I had a more expensive diamond on my Linn cartridge than on a partner’s finger. :woman_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

“ Wages (hopefully) increase.”

Ha… not in a long time, unfortunately.

Was thinking of upgrading my SuperUniti recently. Looks like I’ll just enjoy it for another few years. :grin:

4 Likes

Funny that as one of the contributing factors according to the big end of town is for increasing prices is higher wages. But that’s not I’m what hearing from people on salaries trying to cope with crippling costs.

4 Likes

In the US hourly wages have gone up a lot b/c they’ve lagged GDP and productivity growth for decades. More of a catch up than anything. Professional salaries are seeing increases as well.

Here in Canada my pay has not budged a penny in about 3 years.:weary:

1 Like

Probably time to find a new gig.