Proac D2D/R

Hi All, I’ve just been advised that the Proac D2 I ordered way back in February will soon arrive, ya! Unfortunately all of this time has allowed me to research further and second guess my decision not to go with the ribbon tweeter. The distributor has graciously allowed me to change to the D2R, if I wish. Can anyone offer any further descriptors of the differences in the sound between these two speakers, maybe there is a well recorded youtube video that I’m not aware of? Are the bass and midrange essentially the same, with the top end being the only difference?
Thanks for any further input prior to my throwing a dart :slight_smile:

If I recall, you decided on the dome version after much thought, together with some discussion on here. The easiest thing, as the speakers are arriving imminently, is to stick with your decision. My Tablettes have the same dome tweeter, I believe, and they sound super. It will all be fine.

1 Like

I have owned a pair of D2 with the dome and loved them. I now own a pair of D30RS with the ribbons and love them. The music sounds wonderful, and I am a fan of ProAc speakers.

I believe you would be happy with either version. My ears of course and our hearing capabilities are all different.

Good luck with your decision…

1 Like

I’m using a pair of the dome type in system2 (NDAC/82/180) and they’re among the most rewarding and involving speakers I’ve used. (and that’s a long list) . If the stands, system and room are compatible, and well set up … I’m sure you will be delighted. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I’ll echo what @anon4489532 says. It’ll all be fine! If you do change your mind I can tell that the D2R’s are fantastic. As @seakayaker and others are, I’m a big fan of the ProAcs. They just sound right to me. Oh btw heavy stands work best IMHO.

2 Likes

Yes you are 100% correct, it’s just that the 8 month lead time has proven to be too much for poor old indecisive me. At my age I’m hoping this will be my last pair of quality speakers, so I’m trying to make the most of it.

1 Like

I’m sure either will be fine. There must have been a reason why you chose the domes in the first place.

It’s amazing that eight months have elapsed since you decided to order them. I think my Tablettes came in about eight days!

1 Like

Here in North America the wait can be very long (Covid etc). Mine would have taken 4+ months but luckily my dealer had a demo pair he was willing to sell and the finish was perfect for me.

I decided on the dome tweeter because many people were of the opinion that the ribbon tweeter had a poor off axis performance. Many others since then say that is simply not the case. Most of my listening will be off axis.

I have made a pair of 22" 4 post stands, filled with steel shot. They are in excess of 80lbs per stand and basically inert. Hopefully they will work.

1 Like

That should do nicely! Mine weigh in about 80lbs or so as well. I dread the day I have to move them lol.

@Scotty2 your idea of “off axis” is not what most folks think of. Off Axis is more about sitting off center. But if I remember your idea of Off Axis is how they will sound in another room; your kitchen. In your kitchen they won’t image, it’s just background music. And Ribbon or Dome will sound essentially the same.

1 Like

I must be getting old. I now remember this topic from awhile ago. 100% agree to what your saying @opus

Back last September when I was auditioning speakers, my dealer loaned me a pair of D20Rs which proved to have too much bass for my room. I loved the ribbon tweeter however. He didn’t have a pair of D2Rs in stock, but arranged for ProAc to divert the demo pair of D2s to me for a couple of weeks to see if they cured the bass issue. They did, but to my ears the tweeter lost the the sweetness of the ribbon. Detail was the same, but I preferred mid range and presentation of voices and acoustic instruments. If I were to summarise I’d say that the D2s suite rock and energetic music where as the D2Rs suite female voices and tonaly rich music. In the end I bought the D2Rs.

4 Likes

Thanks VERY much for sharing that. Since I am buying blind, this type of information is most helpful. My tastes in music vary from Nina Simone to Guns n Roses, that said, I do find myself trending more toward acoustic music as time goes on. I sold my Spendor Classics in pursuit of tighter bass, a more detailed top end and improved dynamics ( for rock). I had a pair of Proac D25 a number of years ago, in a lesser system, and liked them and the detail they offered but the bass was too much in my room. The thing I miss most about the Spendors is the mids, voices were wonderfully conveyed. I’m hoping that the D2D or D2R would provide the bass, dynamics and detail I’m looking for along with something close to the mids of the Spendors. It sounds like the difference between the dome and ribbon versions goes beyond the top end. I believe the mid/bass driver is the same in both speakers but the crossover points are different?

1 Like

I have a variety of Proacs over the years, Studio 140, D28, D30 R and now K3. The first two were done tweeters, the latter two ribbon. I have not had a chance to compare some vs ribbon directly, but to be honest I am not sure I hear a vast difference. Perhaps a bit more “attack” on percussion instruments with the ribbon. I certainly haven’t had any issues with so called off-axis performance. As HH says, I am sure you will be very happy with either dome or ribbon.

One interesting point though is that in the higher end K series, Proac do not offer a choice of dome, all are supplied with ribbon as standard. I am not sure whether or not this is significant……

Enjoy them I am sure you are in for a treat…
Paul

3 Likes

If I ever get a larger space, the K3’s would be next and likely my end-goal speakers. Of note to @Scotty2 , in my room (system, ears etc) I play a variety of music and it all sounds exceptional.

2 Likes

D2R ,no question
D2D is a very good choice ,too
think about it this way
in for a penny, in for a pound?
No contraindictions,really

Are the D2R too polite for rock music?

I would say that they’re absolutely fine. The dome tweeter seems to have that little top end peak that pushes cymbals forward without sounding too bright, the ribbon is just as detailed but without being analytical and the upper midrange is fabulous. Neither speaker is polite, just different.

2 Likes