ProAc

Anyone running ProAc with Naim? The D20R has my eye as an upgrade from my Harbeth P3. I’m looking for more dynamics and just more in general. The P3 is a fantastic speaker, but it runs out of steam a little sooner than I’d like when the music gets spirited. I also really like the size and form factor of the D20R. I owned ProAc in the past and liked them, I had a pair of Response DB3. The system with the DB3s was a Primaluna integrated and Ayre Codex DAC. It was very good, but very different from what I have now. I’ve thought about staying the course with Harbeth and going after the monitor 30, but thats a little hard on the budget, especially when stands are factored. I’m not fond of the Compact 7.
FYI, I’m running an XS3 and ND5 XS2

D20R is a great speaker. The ribbon driver sets it apart from the competition. I run Tablet 10’s in a second system with a 172XS/200 and it’s a great combo. Very musical without fuss or fireworks.

6 Likes

I’ll echo what ChrisBell has said. I have the D2R speakers(stand mounters same ribbon) paired with SN3/ND5XS2/nDAC and it’s fantastic sounding. I can only imagine the D20R have more bass due to their size. I had them previously running just fine with the Nait XS2 if that helps.

2 Likes

@SimonB proac definitely pairs well with nova. I run an old pair of response 1.5 which is a predecessor of d20r with the nova and I couldn’t be happier. Best to have a listen at the dealer of course and it very much depends on room size and room acoustics.

2 Likes

I used to run Proac response 2.5 with Nap300. Excellent combination.
They were rear ported so did need some space around them.

3 Likes

Studio 148 with Uniti Star and XS3 soon (if). Very happy.

2 Likes

I heard the combo ProAc/Naim , when I auditioned (to purchased ) my UQ2. it was my favorite pair.

4 Likes

I ran a pair of Response 1SC and they were lovely…so i would have no hesitation in going for ProAc if i was getting rid of my SBLs…

4 Likes

I ran the D20r speakers for a couple of years with a SuperUniti and absolutely loved them. Great from the start, they improved significantly over the first 6 months. Slight tendency towards bass boom (but only a very limited number of albums) was cured by the use of Herbie’s Gliders under the spikes. Only reason for getting rid was upgrade to K6 and Naim separates.

3 Likes

I ran a pair of ProAc D2’s with a XS 2 and SN 2 and currently run a pair of ProAc D30RS with my SN 2. ProAc and Naim are a fantastic combination!

The D20R speakers should be a fabulous fit with you ND5 XS2 > XS 3 system!

Good luck with your decision…

5 Likes

I was a longtime Linn customer, but got hooked on Naim with ProAc several years ago with an original Supernait and Tablette 8s for a bedroom system. While I stayed with Aktiv Linn (+ Rega P3) on my main system, eventually adding a DSM, I longed for that Naim/ProAc magic. So, about two years ago, I picked up a used pair of ProAc Studio 140 Mk2s, a NAC N-272 and NAP 100 and haven’t looked back. This is the most musical, enjoyable and non-fatiguing system I’ve ever had.

6 Likes

I just finished having AV Options work their magic on a Nait 2. I am planning on using them with my vintage ProAc Super Tablettes which I purchased in 1988. Just waiting for my stands to arrive.
When I returned to high end Stereo back in 2003 I started my Naim journey with these same ProAc’s. They saw me well with a Nait 5 and then a 282.

Best
Gregg

6 Likes

I just bought ProAc D20R. Wonderful speakers. I wanted the D30RS but in the US the difference in price is $2800. which is kind of nuts, since apart from a very slightly larger cabinet and a different woofer they’re the same.

6 Likes

Many have gone through the same journey before and ended up choosing d20r over d30r not because of price but because it suits the room / set up better. I hope you love your pair as much as I love mine. :blush:

4 Likes

I have had proac tablettes,response 1s,140’s,and currently have response 2.5’s,all of them have been brilliant with my sondek and everything else is Naim system

4 Likes

@SimonB if you are looking at ProAc, I would also look at Scansonic MB range. Also has a ribbon tweeter, design comes from the Raidho speakers. Dynamic, beautiful mid range, incredible detail from the tweeter, and even with that is quite transparent. Incredible speaker. It has been the best match for my XS2 amp. I got the Scansonic MB5 B.

1 Like

comes from the same designer/ father( Michael Børresen ),
but not the same. :wink:

1 Like

@anon29651526 Yes, its not exactly the same, but many believe its pretty close :slight_smile:
Design is almost identical.

Regardless, its still magical.
Mids like a Maggie, bass fast and textured, massive soundstage, and amazing detail from the tweeter, without being fatiguing.

2 Likes

Indeed. I heard it personally a couple of years ago , both brands ( ScanSonic MB2.5 and Raidho X-1).

Good of you to remember the sugestion because it’s not a usual one.

1 Like

Funny that’s the exact words I was thinking last night while listening to an old Stevie Wonder track that I used to think was unlistenable on my old speakers.

1 Like