Problem with Sky Q box affecting vinyl replay again

Hi everyone and Happy New Year to all forum members. A couple of years ago, when I changed to a Sky Q box, it induced a loud hum through the speakers.With the help from members of the old forum it was suggested that the problem was caused by a powerline feature in the Q box that had not been switched off when fitted and could be found in a hidden menu. Switching the powerline off cured the problem. However, just before Christmas the hum problem suddenly reappeared,after accessing the hidden menu to check the powerline setting found it was no longer available. Contacted Sky who said the powerline setting had been removed and could not offer any other solution other than sending a technician out in late January. Could this wonderful forum offer any solutions to this very annoying problem which is preventing me playing my new Christmas vinyl.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions Graham.

Simply unplug it when your spinning.

3 Likes

Insist they replace the box (but try a factory reset yourself). I’d be the first person to notice mains littering and my SkyQ box is on the same Hifi ring with no problems.

malla…Thank you. I have had suspicions for a while that the box my be the culprit there has been a strange on and off ticking noise coming from the box for some while.

ATB Graham.

It looks like the powerline networking feature was removed via a firmware update a while back. I take it these boxes have Wi-Fi too - has this become enabled and causing the issue. I take it the problem goes away when you turn the Sky Q box off completely ?

Just for completeness, i take it that nothing else has been connected to the system around the time that the hum came back ?

Hi James Happy New Year.
Yes nothing has changed since the powerline issue, ethernet connection to the main box buster box upstairs for secondary box which is also wired in and yes the problem goes away when the Sky box is unplugged.

ATB Graham.

Hi Graham - Happy New Year to you too. Hopefully a hum free 2020 for you !

Check if wireless is enabled on the Q box near the Hi-Fi and disable if it is. Other than that, unless the Powerline connection has become re-enabled somehow then i’ll bow out and let someone who has one of these boxes comment further…

1 Like

I think Sky have stopped putting powerline hardware in their boxes (I’m not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure) so this might explain why the setting to enable/disable it is no longer there. I would be tempted to lay it on thick and complain to Sky that their gear puts out a very high, and possibly non-compliant level of RFI, which is causing performance issues with other electronics, and possibly also a health hazard, and insist that they replace it immediately.

3 Likes

“You’re not leaving without supplying a new box”.

1 Like

I had a similar issue in that my Sky Q box introduced a hum of sorts to my SW (even though the cable was screened!)
I resolved it by fitting a RA Silencer adjacently

Hi Guys, just like to say thank you for your thoughts regarding the sky box problem. The sky engineer came out this afternoon after hearing the problem and checking settings agreed that it was the Qbox causing the problem and swapped it for a new box problem solved, he did comment that the new boxes had been updated but was not sure what the upgrade was. He also said he had no idea about Naim HiFI or vinyl reproduction told him he was to young to have grown up with vinyl he laughed.

ATB Graham.

3 Likes

Good to hear that’s resolved. Luckily I’ve not experienced any issues with my Sky Q box.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.