Prototype NAP 500 case refurbishment

The salesman was thinking the opposite of course. As it turned out (making you right and him wrong), when I traded the car it was very quickly scooped up my another dude who wanted to track it. The problem with sunroofs on track cars is they lower the internal headroom which creates issues for taller people wearing a helmet.

Now I drive a 2018 Outback. It came with a very large panoramic sunroof. I have 25k miles on it and I have yet to ever drive it with the roof open. What a waste of money.

My wife and I are making home improvements. She keeps thinking how it will help resale. I keep thinking how it will increase my own enjoyment of the home.

There is a fine line between full restoration and sympathetic restoration I agree but I feel with hifi the main event is the sound. If you want to own this it should look good. Can you imagine how many times a prototype has been taken apart and rebuilt? To what end? Make it like it was when it went into R&D I say.

Hi @lapman apologies but I meant ask how it sounds?

Where can I find this video?

I once had an ex-demonstrator BMW with the factory-fitted sunroof option. Twice I had to let the dealer have it back to try to quieten the wind noise from the sun roof, which both times was dealt with as a warranty issue, but it was never fully satisfactory. I resolved never to buy another BMW with a sunroof.

1 Like

Very good indeed thank you Its partnered with a 5 year old 552DR and a pair of Yamaha NS1000m which i purchased new back in 1979

From my personal archive, a photo I took on one of my many factory visits (previously posted elsewhere on the forum), an unpainted NAP500 prototype in one of the test rooms.

12 Likes

Are those Mana racks ?

I’m not sure. I think it was on the website some years back now. I’ll try to have a look through the old Connection pieces and see what i can find.

Goodbye to value, it would have been worth a fortune, original state mind you, maybe in a hundred years from now.

Yes, and Audiotech. Mana was used extensively in the factory, as well as Base, Audiotech, Archidee and Hutter.

4 Likes

Thanks Richard - Ah yes it’s the pre Fraim period.

Wow! I think I might prefer it in silver now.

Early prototype for the new ‘tin’ range?

2 Likes

Here is the amp tucked in the corner out of the way.

3 Likes

It looks just fine as it is there. I also like the wenge plinth on your LP12.

Brilliant how Naim buyers generally produce a microscope to seek out imperfections in s/h units - yet here it’s “nah, leave it battled scarred and authentic” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks fab, bet it sounds awesome too! Are you any closer to working out what you’re going to do with it? :slight_smile:

Maybe Naim could start doing custom shop relics like Fender.

Remembering that the OP asked for advice on “refurbished / resprayed”, so seems decision already made.

Having seen the Silver original one, would that be an option to take it back to bare metal, and then polished?

1 Like