Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

Before buying the ND5XS2 I streamed via MacBook/M2Tech HiFace/DC1/nDAQ. The HiFace is a very good and cost effective solution.

So the primary concern I have at this time is how to get the highest quality audio streamed to my nDAC. At this time I can’t tell the different between Tidal and Spotify on my PC or TV. Sony 85" does pretty good with Spotify and Toslink to my nDAC.

It sounds to me I need a streamer of some kind…one thing I absolutely love about Spotify is the ability to use my phone and move around my property and control the music coming from my TV…also love being able to search using my TV and see whats playing, etc. I guess I give up sound quality for ease of use and mobility.

My next wonder is what kit I could get to improve the situation where I can stream HQ content directly to my nDAC, and have mobility and not have a mullet hahaah. I’d like to hear what it sounds like if its the way. :wink:

Is that the ND5XS2, or NDX2?

1 Like

Wow, that’s a big jump from a TV or PC to an nd5xs2. Could you try a smaller jump given that you have the ndac already? I found the Bluesound node an excellent streamer when coupled with a decent dac, which the ndac obviously is. Mobility is available via the app on a smart phone or ipad and can be controlled from the PC if you are sitting in front of it.

3 Likes

Totally agree with Bruss here. There are any number of network streamers, with and without DACs, that you could try, for 1/4 the price of a ND5 XS2. I use a Primare NP5, 450-500 GBP new, cheaper second hand. It has no DAC, which is fine, as you have the wonderful NDAC. The main difference between the streamers is the software they use, and the app experience, plenty of threads about this too.

Primare NP5 can be cast to, it can see UPnP servers on your network, and integrates the streaming services into its GUI. I’m away from home right now, but can grab some screen shots when back to show you.

The Bluesound Node is also well respected round here, it runs different software, I’m sure someone could describe the user experience of that.

They’re also mostly smaller/slimmer than the ND5 XS2. What they mostly are not though is as well built as the Naim unit.

I can thoroughly recommend the BluOS app that the Node uses.Very flexible and smooth.
Other makes are using it now, like NAD and Roksan.

1 Like

You could swap the NDAC for a ND5XS2. Even if the DAC in the streamer might (and your own ears are the arbiter here) be out performed by the dedicated NDAC, it would be a single box, with streaming service integration done well. The ND5 XS2 starts at about £1600 second hand, the difference between that and your NDAC is the price of a network streamer. And one less box, and a wall wart PS, etc.

Given your streaming service of choice is Spotify and/or Tidal, you might find the Naim streamer and NDAC fed by the TV, are fairly close SQ wise. I liked what the ND5 XS2 sounded like when demoed against my Hugo mk1 - it wasn’t quite there detail wise, but an upgraded DIN lead took it close. That, plus swapping ND5 XS2 in place of a streamer, separate DAC, and two associated power leads, means the Naim streamer is the simpler option.

I know that contradicts my other post recommending NP5 or equivalent. But it does reflect my “journey” in streaming, and current desire to simplify my current 2 box streaming solution.

Apologies for linking my own thread, here is my convoluted thought process in thread form:

2 Likes

I hadn’t realised the Bluesound app was used elsewhere but I can see why. Best app I’ve used across platforms. If I could find a way of using it on the DS-10 I’d be a very happy bunny.

Good point re selling the ndac and putting the funds to an nd5xs2.

1 Like

Great for improved streaming perhaps, but I am quite sure it would be a significant downgrade to sound quality.

1 Like

The ND5XS2 is fantastic with the nDAC. There was a used one at Hawthorne on Friday. I’d demo it and see what you think

2 Likes

100% agree with you nicnaim. I didn’t know we share the same dealership.

…lots of us share the same dealer.

4 Likes

Yep I thought of this as well, but this isn’t a game someone said? hahaha

I don’t mind another box, I’d just need to get another level on my rack.

The alternative to squeeze the XS, HiCaP, and Stageline into an SN3 is also in play. It’s like tetris.

When I first started I maxxed out my Vinyl experience to the best of my ability now I’m trying to go upstream with my Digital so. I don’t think an ND5XS2 is out of the question to get to higher performing source.

Given I’m a Naim fanatic and EVERYTHING past my TV/Oppo/Turntable is NAIM I will probably not try another brand. Yes I’m a fanboy.

Lastly my nDAC is still a feed from my Oppo and TV for movies. I like the 3 Toslink ports on the nDAC…

2 Likes

As you well know the nDAC is incredibly flexible with all those inputs. I may have mentioned this but I run my Oppo through the nDAC and it sounds much better than the DAC within the Oppo(no surprise). If you haven’t gathered from all the positive comments, but ND5XS2 with a nDAC is great combo.

2 Likes

Guy in a trench coat down on Roosevelt with soviet accent?

1 Like

We probably just sit here and buy/sell each other’s stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, we do. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

“We probably just sit here and buy/sell each other’s stuff.”

Certainly possible, I have traded in gear when I upgraded as well as bought some used equipment over the years.

2 Likes

naim streamer into an nDAC also gives the possibility to pick up and add a used power supply later.

ND5XS2/nDAC/XPSDR - killer combo for the cost if 2 out of 3 boxes are at used prices.

1 Like