Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

Absolutely a bargain. I picked one up a few weeks ago and works a treat with the ND5XS2 and the TV.

6 Likes

As it is, currently…

The Innuos Zen Mini mk3 and LPSU is already a lovely two box package. The nDAC makes it shine, filling out details and adding some more scale to the music.

7 Likes

Nice nicnaim! Your system is the way I’m headed (282/250DR etc).

330px-Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven

2 Likes

Some great bass tones through the nDAC here:

I respect Thievery Corporation and their use of percussion and bass, oh my! They also never sold out to any record label I believe.

I run [quote=“nicnaim, post:102, topic:19815, full:true”]
Absolutely a bargain. I picked one up a few weeks ago and works a treat with the ND5XS2 and the TV.

[/quote]

Same here I have TV with Toslink and Oppo with Toslink…also my PC if I want but usually no need.

I so do love optical toslink…just removes all questions IMO…25 foot of optical cable run through a wall? No worries!

Most DACs are not generous with their Toslink ports…and the ports themselves are cheapo.

1 Like

I’ve been reading much on your positive experience using a ND5XS2 > NDAC, along with @marcusman, that I’m strongly leaning to making it my next purchase, using the proceeds from a coming tax refund (it’s either that or a OMEGA Speedmaster). I’m currently using a Squeezebox Touch (powered by a LPS) connected via DC1 to my NDAC, with an Rpi4 running pCP/LMS. I’ve grown to like using the iPeng 9.7.4 interface with the Quboz plug-in on my iPad. 100% of my listening is streaming thru Quboz and I’ve been happy with the sound. An ND5XS2 would significantly simplify the set up, but I’m not sure how the Naim app interface would compare with iPeng, and would I experience an uplift in SQ over the Squeezebox/LPS to make the switch worthwhile.

I love ND5XS2 via Naim DC1 cable into my nDAC and Naim amps.

I rate the SQ of the ND5XS2 far above the Auralic Aries and BS Node 2i both of which I have tried in my system.

I have never heard an iPeng system but I do control my ND5XS2 with the Naim app on my iPad.

So I think ND5XS2 is a great way forward for you and will give great SQ and usability within your Naim hifi system.

If you buy one from a dealer you can test how it sounds in your room.

Jim

4 Likes

I assume that’s unengaging :wink:

1 Like

You assume correct FC… :slight_smile:

My new nDAC has been in for 4 days. My take is that it’s not as good as my former Denafrips Venus II but it also doesn’t have the buffer over run problem that the Venus had. It’s better than my Oppo 205 on it’s own but not substantially. It has more body/fullness but sometimes the bass is a little rough or sloppy. My nDAC is a 2014 edition and I think it has the latest firmware but I should really check - how do you do that? I tried playing a DSD file on a USB drive thinking that if it played it would certainly be up to date but no luck there. Given how fussy it is with USB drives, I’m stuck. Also, I use a MAC and the only FAT format options are Ex FAT & MS DOS FAT. Are either of these formats OK? And what scheme - GUID Partition Map or Master Boot Record? For what it’s worth I did a search and didn’t find answers.

1 Like

You need to format in FAT32 and ensure you have no hidden partition in the stick. The file should be placed in the root. The DAC can be finicky over USB sticks so try a few different types.

DSD support came in 2015 with a firmware update which also brought performance improvements. This will be of interest;

If you download the last firmware update you’ll see all the necessary files in a folder including a detailed update document which shows you how to find out what firmware version your DAC is currently on. If you do update make sure you have a USB stick that you know is working on the DAC. Also, best to use the rear USB port.

If I recall there was a way to tell which firmware the nDAC currently has installed, using the front panel buttons and taking note the order of illumination.

Yes, it’s all detailed in the pdf document;

1. Establish if an update is required
    To check firmware versions:
    Switch DAC on a main rear switch while holding the “dock” button.

There then follows a sequence of lights illuminating at set intervals around the five buttons “dock”, “1”, “2”, “3” and “4”. This sequence occurs over a five second period and denotes three firmware versions within the DAC. You will need to note which combination of lights are illuminated at each point in the sequence.

e.g.

Dock 1 2 3 4

The 1st second combination of lights = BOOT LOADER firmware version The 2nd second all lights should be off
The 3rd second combination of lights = BLACKFIN device firmware version The 4th second all lights should be off

The 5th second combination of lights = SHARC device firmware version After this sequence the DAC will boot normally.

1 Like

Jim, was it the Auralic Aries G1 you compared? What were the differences in SQ, in your opinion vs the ND5XS2. The Auralic and Lumin U1 Mini look like nice transports but I haven’t had an opportunity to listen.

That’s it, thanks Richard

What front end are you using with the nDAC? It does like a good incoming digital stream.

1 Like

If you have an iPhone and a cable with a USB-A connector, plug it in to the front USB port of the nDAC and on your iPhone navigate to Settings → General → About → Naim DAC (all the way at the bottom) and you should be able to see the firmware version.

3 Likes

Nice, this way is even easier, thanks!

Also works with iPods and iPads

2 Likes