Putting a switch in the chain - mixed feelings

It’s an option to turn on V3 support on the router as far as I know it was added to the controller not so long ago. The switches support more than just V3 to my knowledge though. Not seen any issues

@Simon-in-Suffolk if you don’t mind, could this be a usefull switch for better sq? It supports igmp snooping according to specs and is very affordable (cheap).

The switch from TP-link
TP-Link TLSG105E

That’s interesting, CG.
Can the Unifi switches you have all send and receive electrical power as well as data signals?

The main switch cant as it needs to supply power to all the other devices on my network so it uses its own 48v PSU. This sits in my data cupboard. All other network devices then are fed power by PoE from this switch. So two switches and two Wireless Access points. They all receive power and data on the same uplink.

Hi… yes it will relate to the apps or software on devices on your network which version of IGMP they are using if they use multicast groups.
Yes the issue was they Ubiquiti switches did only support v3 which could be problematic for some apps. Don’t know if this is now changed.

I am not familiar with that device. If it supports IGMP snooping (and check which versions) then this will be useful.
As far as overall SQ you will have to listen as well… if the switch uses a slightly noisy clock that will couple into the Ethernet physical voltage modulation frequency and could upset SQ compared to a switch with a better regulated clock…
For best SQ one needs several things working together… it’s not all one or the other…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.