Qobuz changes to re-downloading purchases - list yours /region

There are new Qobuz T&Cs from 1st October 2024.

In essence some previous purchases may no longer be available to re-download or potentially to stream.

Presumably this is due to links with labels/artists changing over time.

Fortunately (and rightly) they seem to be pre-warning of deletion but there are a few oddities and the timescale is short.

• certain purchases I add to the basket no longer seem to show as previously purchased prior to accessing payment. Has the old purchase already been removed from the catalogue and replaced with a potentially identical ‘version’ just with a different product code/SKU - saw this happen with Apple quite a lot for music and video purchases.
  • @fotobrooks will lose a Deep Purple album, I bought it too but haven’t as yet had an email to say it’ll be removed - are there regional or label differences?
  • might they send multiple emails on a per label basis?

Thought it might it be handy to compile a list in case there are glitches with the email notifications.

So far:

@fotobrooks warned of this but I also purchased and have not been advised of removal:

Alley_cat (UK):

@frenchrooster (France or EU)

Which titles are changing for you?

2 Likes

Another thing which dawned on me is that there may be things which you’d planned to purchase but haven’t as yet.

The titles I won’t be able to access are 3 on Safari or Cherry Red labels - there are quite a few other albums I haven’t purchased by the same artist for one reason or another, but will they also disappear for streaming/purchase? Another 2 albums I have are not listed for removal (different labels).

It would be nice for Qobuz to clarify this.

In some instances if all of an Artists work is removed it may not be possible to purchase it in hi-res in the future.

My purchases that won’t be available to download

• All Things Must Pass (album) by George Harrison
  • Cruel Country (album) by Wilco
  • Dear Scott (album) by Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band
  • FM (album) by Ryan Adams
  • Grotto (album) by Wilma Vritra
  • Into The Blue (album) by Broken Bells
  • Jazz At The Plaza Vol 1 (album) by Miles Davis
  • Sometimes You Hurt The Ones… (album) by Damien Jurado
  • The Bends (album) by Rosie Carney
  • The Bible (album) by Lambchop
  • The Decline of the Country … (album) by Lambchop
  • The Songs Of Bacharach & Co… (album) by Elvis Costello, Burt Bacharach
  • Ultraviolet Battle Hymns an… (album) by The Dream Syndicate
  • iTunes Sessions (album) by Wilco
1 Like

In the UK
Seven Inches Of Satanic Panic (album) by Ghost
The Last Dance - Live at Br… (album) by The Music

1 Like

Only one for me.

1 Like

US.

1 Like

Strongly suspect there might be regional differences but I’m going to redownload just in case.

If you have multiple backups of your library shouldn’t be a big deal should it?

No, but they’re fragmented.

Gotcha, I have multiple hard drives outside my network with my entire library saved on them. I update them after I make purchases so they’re always current. But I do bulk buys a handful of times a year so not too hard to manage.

1 Like

If one has already downloaded them, surely none of this matters. Maybe I’m missing something.

Not intending to be alarmist, but wanted to highlight to others as changes are imminent.

A couple of reasons for me to flag I suppose:

1 - Timescale is short so if you haven’t downloaded all purchases, get your skates on just in case!

2 - Some purchases were huge (eg Maria Callas collection) and the old tar format downloads sometimes timed out with larger tar files. People may have incompletely downloaded large collections if done manually as that used to be fiddly (the Qobuz desktop app is ideal for this but you can’t select the format)

3 - Not uncommon for some of us to buy large numbers of titles during their sales, perhaps not downloading all immediately - the standalone downloader app has improved but is still a bit of a faff.

4 - Fragmented download collections on older drives - I saved downloads on a WD NAS to use with the Nova but it became a security risk so no longer use it, and the files there will be incomplete. I have numerous copies of downloads on various hard drives, but again few of these are ‘complete’ either due to space issues or it just being a complete faff (my choice) when changing computers or attached external media.

5 - Different formats/fidelity - originally I used to download both FLAC and ALAC hi-res. Probably never convinced of any major difference on the Nova so now mainly get FLAC. Some may have downloaded hi-res FLAC but would also like another format and maybe lower fidelity for portable devices/car use.

Downloading is the purchaser’s responsibility at the end of the day and I’m thankful Qobuz have warned of changes. I don’t have 100% confidence though that their warning system is perfect, especially when two of us purchased an album but only 1 has had a warning.

Other things:

1 - Hard to know what’s going to disappear on Oct 1st - purchases you might have been considering making from the same artist but hadn’t might be removed from the download/streaming catalogue so if there were any ‘important’ ones might be best to buy now. To me Qobuz has given the best options for hi-res purchases for many years depending on the genres - it may not be possible to obtain hi-res for some titles elsewhere if an artists back-catalogue cannot be purchased on Qobuz.

2 - Still unsure if the items we were warned about will be available to stream in Qobuz in the future or perhaps still available to stream and purchase but due to a slightly different catalogue descriptor the older purchase would no longer match for re-download purposes.

3 - Something else I’d forgotten and probably equally unexciting.

4 - I’m a bit OCD about things like this which might not bother anyone else.

:slight_smile:

BW

AC

2 Likes

My real concern is that the emails are incorrect and only show a small subset of what won’t be available.

Mine only mentioned 3 albums from a single artist would be removed. Not a big hassle to specifically re-download those. However…

I have 10 purchased Kate Bush remasters:

Adding as many as I could find to the basket again, only the 3 earliest are recognised as ‘Album Previously Purchased’. Remastered Pt. IV, has gone from the store.

If not recognised as Album Previously Purchased does that mean they’ll be gone too? Maybe items have changed in the catalogue but not all labels will deny re-downloads? Just rather confusing at the moment.

If many people become concerned it could hammer the download servers too :neutral_face:

Won’t be easy testing this for 451 purchases.