Qobuz launches in six more countries

Nope - this has nothing to do with Trudeau (I wish it did…but it’s simply not the case). The recent nonsense about CRTC and C-11 is different, and the recent stream-blocking order in Federal Court is to illegal streaming of (mostly) hockey.

The issues in Canada are almost entirely related to licensing I’d guess…licenses to music in Canada are often owned by organizations different from those in the US. Anyone wanting to (legally) stream music or movies etc needs in Canada - as elsewhere - needs to pay the licenseholder. Not all of those licenseholders will negotiate, or have already negotiated deals with others - some exclusively and some not. It’s hard in Canada (for instance) to find an original copy of Bette Midler’s “The Divine Miss M”. There are a variety of very similar copies…but they’re not the original versions. Beats me why.

The other answer may lie in Quebecor’s “Qub” which has partnered with Qobuz - link below.
Qobuz Partners With Québecor To Launch QUB Musique (essentialinstall.com)

Whether this has an impact on English Canada I don’t know.

2 Likes

I will investigate QUB more, thanks for that info.
I just wonder if I can subscribe to it in Ontario, and if my Lumin streamer will recognize it. The Lumin recognizes Tidal and Qobuz, but this is kind of an offshoot of it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.