Qobuz on older streamers

@Thruster04

Just done a very brief test and you are right :face_with_hand_over_mouth: the Tablet does seem to acting as a control point. I played some random track and then switched WiFi off and the music continued to play.

I’ve not done any SQ tests though, I wonder if Naim are aware of this technology, I’d assume so but it’s worth asking? @Stevesky

It’s a godawful user interface though. Yeuch!

I’ll have a listen tomorrow for some SQ checking

Mconnect HD is much nicer.

1 Like

I’m interested in all of this, as I’m curious about how these things work :-).
I found this on-line:

“The mconnect Player app ‘iOS solution’ I mentioned (also available on Android) doesn’t appear to proxy Qobuz’s streams for its controlled renderer, so the renderer should obtain them directly (via http redirects) from Qobuz.”,

which ties in with the above tests by Guinnless and others. I have Bubble set to qobuz proxy and audio stops from my streamer a few seconds after I turn wifi off on my phone. With proxy “off”, the audio continues. Re-doing a sound test, this time with bubble proxy “on” and then “off”, it plays perfectly when “on” and has a bigger soundstage and several “hairs on the back of my neck” moments with my selected track. Still sounds good with proxy “off”, but not as good. I’m assuming the buffering provided by the proxy allows for the 272’s buffer to be fine with hardly any artifacts/jitter caused by any issues with the buffer not being able to keep up, whilst with proxy “off”, that’s not going to be the case. That I guess would be the reason my MConnect/Bubble test with the same track showed Bubble to be the better performer and accounts for all the drop-outs I was getting with MConnect vs perfect replay with bubble (as it had proxy set to “on”).

I haven’t tried the proxy option with Bubble. I’m not seeing where the setting is located. Edit - I’m using bubble on my QNAP so I wonder if that option is with the android devices.

On Android, you need to click the speaker icon in the bottom right of the screen, and then edit the settings for your “renderer”, which is done by clicking the icon (looks like 3 bullet points) to the right of the renderer name. The option is down towards the long :slight_smile: list of various settings.

Yeah, I’m running bubble on a QNAP and using the Linn app so not an option for me.

I have never experienced pauses/dropouts/buffering with my NDX and Spotify but I have the problem now with Qobuz via MConnect lite. At 4372 kbps and lower there is no problem but at any bit rate above that it is an issue - the higher the rate the more frequent the dropouts.
At 4380 the sound pauses for 3 seconds at 30, 58, 1:25 and 1:48.
At 5585 the sound pauses for 3 seconds at 10, 22, 33 and 44 seconds.
Surely the NDX buffer must be filling up at these very high bit rates, sadly in the last couple of weeks my screen has completely faded so I cannot check this. Can anyone confirm this issue? I am sure it is not down to broadband speed.
Of course none of this explains why Qobuz sounds no better than Spotify!

Maybe @Lucifer will be able to respond , as he has an Nds and uses Mconnect with Qobuz.

You can select only Flac 16/44, not more, so will not encounter drop outs. And it won’t change a lot for you, as you don’t hear differences vs MP3.

@Thruster04
I can play FLAC 192kHz but only lowish bitrate streams, Jazz etc. Neil Young “Barn” won’t play at all 5k+ kHz.

On this basis I think you may be right that the buffer is overloaded :slightly_smiling_face:

The SQ is OKish (PRaT badly missing) better than I remembered but not a patch on BubbleUPnP or Roon both of which sound the same. Maybe it’s down to the ND being fed FLAC instead of WAV or maybe its the proxying nature of BubbleUPnP and Roon essentially sending local data to the ND.

1 Like

The dropouts are not a serious issue as I have only found 3 albums streaming above 4372 kbps. It is not really limiting what I can listen to. My bigger concern is the lack of Qobuz quality v Spotify. I have raised a case with Qobuz.

You are right Barn runs for 14 seconds at 5335 kbps!

It’s been discussed at length in this thread where you also participated :wink:

I am not using MConnect, but from what I gathered, there may be different modes and there may be differences between iOS and Android versions

I don’t know the reason but suspect buffer overrun. I have the same issue with my NDS. However I don’t think I can play as high bitrate as you without dropouts. Thought I had them when the bitrate was approx 2500

Yep, this one is having drop outs.

When watching the buffer on the NDS it rapidly empties as the song plays on, then drop out and it refills, then empties and so on.

This is the wireless speed. The NDS is wired.

1 Like

I get maybe 3 seconds!

I finally got around to setting up an old Apple TV with optical out to my Uniti2, so I can stream Quobuz from an iOS device. This is the garage that now serves as a games room and laundry.

The Uniti2 has a wired ethernet connection from a wi-fi extender with an ethernet output. This gets around the flaky wi-fi in the Uniti2 to access my Uniti2 Core. The ATV is running wireless and seems rock solid for Airplay.

I’m playing with the options for which setup looks the best. This was the first:

Then this:

But I think I prefer this:

4 Likes

That’s the nicest, cleanest garage I’ve ever seen!

Nice setup too - I love our Apple TV, they’re pretty flexible things.

3 Likes

I am using the old Apple TV into my NDS in order to listen to play again on BBC Sounds.

2 Likes

Qobuz responded by saying I should contact MConnect as the problem
must be with their app. I now await their reply……

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.