Qobuz on older streamers

Sure. I can hear a difference but it’s clearly better to hear uninterrupted music in lower resolution than interrupted music in higher resolution.

I have read the same thing but in my experience it is definitely not so. My daughter is visiting and not only does she have younger ears than me, she is employed as a Forensic Consultant in speech and audio analysis. Over a variety of tracks and bit rates she could not identify whether Spotify or Qobuz was playing. She had no idea which source I was selecting and she could not hear a difference. I am not trying to rubbish Qobuz, I want it to sound even better than Spotify but it doesn’t. What could be wrong?

I don’t really understand what you are saying. I am not to tech savvy I guess. Anyway I have an Asus router which is really good and thought it would suffice as is.

I hope someone here can help. You could always try contacting Qobuz customer service.

With bubble and Qubuz, there is an option to downsample the audio to your selected “renderer”, e.g. convert any hi-res to 16 bit. I don’t know anything about MConnect and its options.
I also have to say that I’ve probably streamed hundreds of hours of 96khz-192khz+audio from Qobuz and only ever got a drop twice.
I’ve just downloaded (out of curiosity) MConnect Lite for Android. I haven’t tried to log in to Qobuz, but (according to google) the MConnect HD version has the same downsample options for Qobuz as Bubble has (where MP3 might be the default?). I don’t see that option in the Lite version. but that may just be an Android app difference. MConnect Lite is streaming hires (up to 192khz) from my server okay. But maybe “cloud” streaming is knobbled to MP3 for the free Lite version? I’m out of suggestions at the moment :slight_smile:

Curiosity got the better of me and I’ve tried Qobuz from Android MConnect to my 272. it doesn’t downsample. It is sending the hi-res audio to the player. However…
(1) I get drops for 5 seconds every 30 seconds or so (don’t get that with Bubble)
(2)I thought it sound good (playing some acoustic songs that I know very well), but I thought it didn’t sound as good as with Bubble. If I were to give bubble 10 out of 10 for streaming Qobuz, I’d give MConnect 6 out of 10 in terms of what I’m hearing being rendered. It sound good to me, but via Bubble, the sound was airy and spacious, which I didn’t get when streaming the same track via MConnect. I went back and forth several times.

1 Like

When I used Mconnect with my Nds, Qobuz was sounding better than Tidal 16/44 through the Naim app.

The ears need to be educated and refined with time regards to listening to music. When I started the hifi journey I was 30 years old. Most of my friends couldn’t hear differences between the same albums played on vinyl and on a CD player at that time.

I had a friend who honestly couldn’t tell the difference between am radio and fm :slight_smile:

Mono and Stereo were the same for him :grin:

Interesting that’s not how I understood cloud streaming to work wit Mconnect. I’ll test it later

Compared to Tidal, Qobuz sounds better to these ears. Tidal in Naim app and Qobuz in Mconnect, both playing 16/44

1 Like

@Thruster04

Just done a very brief test and you are right :face_with_hand_over_mouth: the Tablet does seem to acting as a control point. I played some random track and then switched WiFi off and the music continued to play.

I’ve not done any SQ tests though, I wonder if Naim are aware of this technology, I’d assume so but it’s worth asking? @Stevesky

It’s a godawful user interface though. Yeuch!

I’ll have a listen tomorrow for some SQ checking

Mconnect HD is much nicer.

1 Like

I’m interested in all of this, as I’m curious about how these things work :-).
I found this on-line:

“The mconnect Player app ‘iOS solution’ I mentioned (also available on Android) doesn’t appear to proxy Qobuz’s streams for its controlled renderer, so the renderer should obtain them directly (via http redirects) from Qobuz.”,

which ties in with the above tests by Guinnless and others. I have Bubble set to qobuz proxy and audio stops from my streamer a few seconds after I turn wifi off on my phone. With proxy “off”, the audio continues. Re-doing a sound test, this time with bubble proxy “on” and then “off”, it plays perfectly when “on” and has a bigger soundstage and several “hairs on the back of my neck” moments with my selected track. Still sounds good with proxy “off”, but not as good. I’m assuming the buffering provided by the proxy allows for the 272’s buffer to be fine with hardly any artifacts/jitter caused by any issues with the buffer not being able to keep up, whilst with proxy “off”, that’s not going to be the case. That I guess would be the reason my MConnect/Bubble test with the same track showed Bubble to be the better performer and accounts for all the drop-outs I was getting with MConnect vs perfect replay with bubble (as it had proxy set to “on”).

I haven’t tried the proxy option with Bubble. I’m not seeing where the setting is located. Edit - I’m using bubble on my QNAP so I wonder if that option is with the android devices.

On Android, you need to click the speaker icon in the bottom right of the screen, and then edit the settings for your “renderer”, which is done by clicking the icon (looks like 3 bullet points) to the right of the renderer name. The option is down towards the long :slight_smile: list of various settings.

Yeah, I’m running bubble on a QNAP and using the Linn app so not an option for me.

I have never experienced pauses/dropouts/buffering with my NDX and Spotify but I have the problem now with Qobuz via MConnect lite. At 4372 kbps and lower there is no problem but at any bit rate above that it is an issue - the higher the rate the more frequent the dropouts.
At 4380 the sound pauses for 3 seconds at 30, 58, 1:25 and 1:48.
At 5585 the sound pauses for 3 seconds at 10, 22, 33 and 44 seconds.
Surely the NDX buffer must be filling up at these very high bit rates, sadly in the last couple of weeks my screen has completely faded so I cannot check this. Can anyone confirm this issue? I am sure it is not down to broadband speed.
Of course none of this explains why Qobuz sounds no better than Spotify!

Maybe @Lucifer will be able to respond , as he has an Nds and uses Mconnect with Qobuz.