Qobuz vs Tidal WhatHifi

I found it almost unusable through the Linn Kazoo (is that it?) app, but once I’d moved from a 272 to a streamer with the new platform I gave Qobuz another go on the trial period and found it so much easier to use with its integration into the Naim app. Tidal does have the edge that when listening on the NAS Tidal will include in the display more albums by the same and similar artists.

Is there a reason why this can’t be implemented with Qobuz? I’d assume it’s a simple search send to the Tidal api that could be extended to search & display from Qobuz in a similar way. @Stevesky ?

On like-for-like albums 16/44 (same year, tracks, release no. etc) I found Tidal and Qobuz to be identical.
No reason why they wouldn’t be?

I use Qobuz now; no skipped tracks or glitches of any sort regardless of resolution. Sounds just as good as local files.

I’ve had no issues using Quboz through the Kazoo app with my 272 and it’s as good if not better than Tidal for functionality. Qobuz is just all around better for me from a sonics and interface standpoint. I haven’t experienced too many gaps in content and I’ve found some content that Tidal didn’t have so it’s pretty much a wash (so far). The portable app works well too. I’m glad Tidal changed their log in process which forced me to try Qobuz. I pay a little more for Qobuz b/c I had a vet discount with Tidal but it’s pretty much negligible for me.

I used Tidal for 18 months and then did a side by side demo with Qobuz and cancelled my Tidal subscription. I do not have problems with Qobuz regarding stability or dropouts.

The sound of the music on Qobuz was an improvement to me. My system, my room, ears… The pricing for the Qobuz service was at a significant savings as well. $5.00 less a month if paying monthly an additional savings, 2 months free if paying for a years subscription up front.

I am not at all interested in MQA and that appeared to be the direction of HiRes for Tidal so moving on to Qobuz made sense for me and have had no regrets.

JMHO - YMMV

Maybe I have a stability problem due to my internet connection, but I’m very much surprised to experience these drop outs even with a 20-25 second buffer and even if I select CD quality instead of Hi-Res. I wonder if there’s a workaround for that.

I want to like Qobuz for its format, the price and because I don’t care about MQA as well. Maybe I’ll change opinion after a long listening session, who knows (I admit that I used Tidal a long time ago). It’s been 3 days with Qobuz, so it’s basically nothing to give a proper evaluation. Only time will tell.

I’ve just swapped from tidal to Qobuz this weekend and Qobuz has only one album missing from my 1500 on tidal favourites. Sound wise Qobuz has a slight edge in clarity but my main reason for moving is to compare Roon with innuos 2 when it lands as tidal won’t be integrated at first. Oh and Qobuz was a fiver a month cheaper

2 Likes

Your system is not specified but dropouts are usually network issues.

This is my system: Exposure 3010S2D, Naim NDX 2, Totem Sky Towers, Nordost Blue Heaven and Red Dawn cables. I’m pretty happy with it so far! Of course there’s always room for improvement.

I thought dropouts might have been caused by my network as well, but I wonder why Tidal has always worked perfectly in comparison.

Are you using Qobuz on the Naim App. And not Chromecast or Airplay?

I used it both ways. My tablet is old and laggy, therefore I’ve been using Qobuz through Chromecast on my computer (I also prefer this way to be honest). Today I set a longer buffer size and it seems to work much better too.

Hmmmm sounds like this could be a WiFi issue.

If your tablet is old and creaky then it’s probably best to get a new one. The percentage cost compared with your system is very small.

You are right, but I’m not a fan of tablets and I prefer to use my computer, that’s the problem. Sooner or later I’ll get a new tablet by the way.
Right now I’m still experiencing drop outs, it’s so annoying so I’m not as lucky as I thought.
Other than that, I’m concerned about Qobuz sound quality. It does sound good of course, but sometimes it’s sound seem a bit too full for me, maybe it’s just a temporary perception (probably it is).

chromecast dropped out on mine too but using airplay or direct through naim app or roon and all good

All my tests in the last couple of years show that Qobuz sounds the same as Tidal given a matching release. Make sure you are not selecting MQA releases if you are connecting from the Tidal App.

I’ve never had a dropout in years of streaming so it’s most likely your network and the Chromecast.

Tidal still beats Qobuz for content. I find shortcomings on releases most weeks. It’s very weak for indie labels I find with American indie worst hit. It’s getting better but my favourite album of the year is still not available on it 3 months after release and her previous album isn’t either. The plus I suppose is it does make me support the artist more as I buy the missing ones on Bandcamp. I also found way more missing after I transferred to Qobuz from Tidal 100’s where missing. Some where there just soundiiz didn’t match the release but still some big holes.

Qobuz’s catalogue is getting better and I now no longer have a sub to Tidal as well. Saves me a bit of money and I bought the odd missing album.
This obviously won’t work for you if you have hundreds missing! :scream::slightly_smiling_face:

That has to be the case, no doubt!

@CrystalGipsy I found Qobuz catalogue quite wide, but I agree, many albums are missing as well.

1 Like

Tried both Tidal and Qobuz extensively, on my system Qobuz has the edge. I can live with the app and the slightly smaller library, though for me the jazz selection is better on Qobuz. Happy to stick with it.

1 Like

I used Qobuz (and Tidal) via MConnectHD on an iPad when I had a 272.

It worked well enough for me at that time.

I do agree, Jazz selection is better for me as well.