Qobuz

Just head down to a wifi place in the US. You will be able to subscribe (with your phone) to Qobuz Studio for less than Tidal in Canada.

2 Likes

Does Qobuz support handover between devices like Spotify Connect do? It’s a deal breaker to me using Macbook laptop, iPhone and iPad controlling music in my home. Neither Tidal or Naim app support streaming control and handover from all platforms to my ND5XS. Only Spotify. So no matter quality of audio I always fall back to Spotify due to the smooth integration between all kind of devices. Maybe Roon would solve this?

Not sure what you mean by handover? The Qobuz/Naim app. implementation will be essentially the same as Tidal. So you can switch between multiple iOS devices for control.

Will there be a free trial period through the Naim app just so one can find their way around before actually committing?

A month I believe.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s great. I was with Qobuz for years when I used a PC laptop into Arcam irDAC. Been with Tidal ever since migrating to ND5 XS 2, but will flip back to Qobuz through the Naim app if performance is enhanced.

Anyone can get a 1 month trial. Naim did a deal with Tidal for 3 months when it started, but it seems Qobuz are not so generous.

It means if I start playing with my iPhone and then grab my computer or iPad it will open up on the same place on all devices since they are in sync through Spotify connect.

The Naim app will do that, you see the current play queue on whatever device you use. Not on a computer, though, iOS or Android.

I am extremely disappointed that owners of older digital streamers, such as the NDX, NAC272 and earlier Uniti products, have been excluded from taking advantage of this expanded choice. I find it stretching credulity to suggest that Qobuz’s platform is technically and significantly different from Spotify and Tidal.

Naim’s philosophy of supporting their products (and by extension, their customers) over extended periods is valued by customers. It is unfortunate that, in the digital age, this promise appears to be being broken.

5 Likes

I suspect Naim would like to offer users of older products some enhancements, but they have to make money, and software development on multiple platforms including discontinued hardware would be costly - logically they will concentrate on the new streaming platform features(appreciate the NAC 272 is current, but older platform).

The older platforms are likley to have less hardware resources generally, and I’d imagine it’s possible that there’s not enough space to cram anything else into the firmware even if Roon or Qobuz could work on the platform - you might get Qobuz at the expense of another feature. Naturally I may be wrong, but it’s possible.

I’ll be glad when Qobuz arrives on the Nova, but given a firmware update for older streamers last year or the year before, that many felt elevated playback quality, I’d imagine there’s a slim possibility they might offer it in the future, especially if Tidal/Spotify change APIs to access their services which would need new firmware on the older streamers.

You wouldn’t be committing anyway, all the streaming providers are on a rolling month by month contract so it’s no big deal if you don’t like it.

1 Like

Well yes and that’s the problem (not on a computer).

Personally I have no desire to stare at a computer screen when I listen to music, but if that is your preference, Roon is probably the best option.

1 Like

Though if you used Roon/Audirvana etc there would generally be an app to control the computer based software on a mobile too, so perhaps not too much different to using the Naim app?

I think you’re right though, for serious listening you don’t really want any computers/gadgets once you’ve hit play or cued up an LP. Increasingly I find that having quality/quiet time without distractions is rare, unless late at night or when everyone is out. I need a soundproofed shed.

No it won’t work like Spotify in that respect. No other service does.

You might have some credulity challenges, but the situation is Spotify Connect and Qobuz and Tidal are quite different in terms of how they function underneath the covers …
Qobuz offers high definition PCM , Tidal doesn’t … therefore the throughput and bandwidth requirements are different.
The older 272 platform and legacy streamer architectures struggle with higher bandwidths on elastic flows (internet flows), just read the pages and pages on the old forum about a Tidal dropouts for some. This is one of the reasons why the new transport architectures were developed.
Therefore coupled with the development costs and likely sub optimal results using the older architectures, it’s totally understandable why this development was only done for the architectures that were designed to be capable to support such things.

I have said on this forum many times, the new streamers transport architectures address shortcomings and limitations in the the first gen platforms which are now better suited for internet streaming
This wasn’t about some marginal ‘tweak’… the new stream transport architecture and products are quite different and much more performant in this regard.

5 Likes

Ok, and what is new today, might be old tomorrow…, so you will have probably the same problems in the near future…HIFI industrie is killing itself with changing protocols so often…it’s not ok Naim does not do anything for the 272 users, it’s still for sale and already old fashioned…unbelievable… Good old record players…always work…

1 Like

Thats why I purchased a Bluesound Node 2i to stream Amazon HD to my 272, the BluOS is rock solid and packed full of internet streaming services see below.

Also the sound is excellent via the BNC digital coax input on the 272 utilizing the 272 DAC but I do have a 555DR powering the 272.

3 Likes