Question about Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Nice one. Report back on how you find it :+1:

Hi Nigel - You can put an SFP module into the ER. The cage is there to the left.

1 Like

Durr…embarrassed, of Chesham.

Hides, in a corner.

Thanks James.

2 Likes

Hi Nigel - It depends which one you have - I think the white ones have 2 SFP cages instead ?

Yes, most if the white 2960s have two SFP ports. Some only have one, or occasionally none.

1 Like

Will do James, thanks. Might try and start a new thread tomorrow all being well… oh and @NigelB , I would also recommend giving an optical solution a try based on my experience so far!

2 Likes

Hi James - I have two Cisco 2960s which I used to use daisy-chained, both with the blue facia like yours. I took one of them out of the system when the etherREGEN was added.

Having checked them properly, the one I have left installed is the WS-C2950PD-8TT-L with Console and PoE input ports, and no SFP cage. I use this one because it has an external SM power supply, which I assume is less noisy than an internal one. The other 2960 also has a RJ45 port that does not work.

The other idle 2960 is a WS-C2960-8TC-L, which was the more common one used on here, but has an internal SMPS. This one does however have a SFP cage, and seems to be very similar to yours.

Would the ADOT be more effective in the EtherREGEN, or in the 2960-8TC-L, which I could put back in in place of the other 2960?

I am thinking of trialling the ADOT but not sure how to deploy it in my LAN.

Hi Nigel - given your present setup, you could try -

At the ER end, plug the Ethernet cable coming from the Cisco (presently plugged into the ER) into the ADOT media converter instead and then go fibre between the ADOT and ER. The ADOT kit comes with the media converter, fibre patch cable and two SFP modules. The only thing I’m not sure of is whether the ADOT badged SFP module is compatible with the ER SFP port, but an email to the manufacturer / supplier of the ER should answer that one.

1 Like

Thanks James.

Just for reference Nigel, this is the ADOT supplied SFP module

Cheers James. I assume ADOT supply two, one to go into the ADOT media converter and the other to go into the switch?

I will check on the compatibility of the ADOT module with the EtherREGEN.

They claim it supports any module on their website last time i looked.

1 Like

Yep, two SFP modules are in the kit :+1:

Well I wonder why then @james_n needed to buy the StarTech.com module, if the ADOT module is compatible with his 2960.

Have a look at the Uptone etherregen manual on line etc….as long as they are Gigabit at each end and of the same type LX, SX multimode etc……it should work.

2 Likes

Cheers Gazza.

Seems a no brainer to buy an ADOT on-line and try it out. If there is a problem or does not improve SQ there is a standard 14 day right of return.

Every review I have read is very positive, and some are well respected commentators in the industry (HiFi Plus, The Ear). Whether or not the ADOT will make a difference with a ND555, which already is excellent at rebuffing noise, is of course debatable. But it costs nothing to try it out.

I am tempted to try the MC02 with a basic linear power supply (but not the posh Plixir - MC03), as it is only £50 more than the MC01 with the switch mode PS. The MC01 could be a bit of a leaky bucket with that SMPS, admittedly with smaller holes. Maybe an umbrella with small holes is a better analogy.

1 Like

SFPs have to match the device on which they run. The device at the other end of the fibre doesn’t matter.
The ADOT thing is apparently supplied with an SFP. For the swtch, if it’s a 2960 the SFP is a GLC-SX-MM. Genuine Cisco ones are, like the switches, expensive, but widely available on ebay for very little. If you buy one that’s non-OEM and claims to be compatible, you may or may not need to log into the switch, open a console seasion and configure it using the command line. I believe James didn’t need to do this with his, but to me the safe bet is to buy the genuine Cisco stuff.

Thanks Chris.

The switch I plan to use in conjunction with the ADOT is my EtherREGEN. Do you happen to know if the ADOT supplied SFP is fully compatible with the EtherREGEN, as I really need plug and play simplicity.

Hi Nigel, I believe the ER can take pretty much any SX type SFP, but I haven’t used one myself. The cable will have LC plugs on it, so the SFP will need LC sockets. I’m not familiar with the ADOT so I couldn’t say for sure but it looks to me like the supplied SFPs ought to be compatible.

1 Like

Indeed. I tried various modules that I had knocking around at work and the Cisco just shut the port down. The StarTech is listed as Cisco compatible and just worked as it presents the right ID code to the switch as with the genuine Cisco modules.

From the ER manual -

The EtherREGEN ignores this code so any Gigabit SFP module can be used regardless of manufacturer code.

So as Chris and Gary mention, you should be fine using the supplied ADOT SFP module with the ER.

3 Likes