Question on NAC 82 Version

Hi Guys, I got my hands on a pre-loved NAC 82 and NAP 180 and recapped both a couple of months ago. They sound wonderful, so much more drive and detail than my 90/92 which I had owned new since 1990s.

I read that the NAC 82 can benefit from a POTS 8 upgrade and contacted by local dealer, they offered the service but retracted it shortly after, mentioning that Naim UK advised them that my set already comes with POTS 8, (serial number 130419)

However a check with Naim UK reveals that they only kept record of the date of manufacture which is 20/03/1997.

I had read in the NAC 52 tread that there is a record of major production changes for the 52, would anyone have the same for the 82 so that I can assure myself that the unit indeed has the latest POTS version. Thanks Heaps!

1 Like

I read that pots 8 was introduced from serial 138507 but there’s not much in it between pots 7 and pots 8.

If you remove the feet and slide the chassis out of the case - slide it out backwards to avoid scratching the paint at the front - the Pots number should be written on the Pots board. The board is attached to the front panel where the pots are.

Thank you so much for your advice, I will definitely try that.
Will update, thanks again

Thanks, If they are a POTS 7 , the monies will be better use on a Hicap or to fund an upgrade to NDX2
I am running the 82/180 with ND5 XS2 and AE1 Classic LE

1 Like

Money spent on a HiCap is the route I would take over a pots 8 upgrade but use HH advice if you need to put your mind at rest

2 Likes

Quote (from Steve Hopkins, at Naim):

“…the POTS number is engraved on the circuit board and can be seen if you remove the cover…”

My 82 is Serial No 170xxx, so well past the change to Pots 8… :grin:

2 Likes

Today I was offered a used 52 and 52PS, kind of within my budget, but am checking with my local dealer on the cost of recapping & POTs 8 as it is a 1991 unit. Some decision to be made… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I went from a POTS8 82 to a POTS8 52/Supercap a couple of years ago, and it was a really worthwhile upgrade. For me the 52 does all the things I loved in the 82, but better.

1 Like

The 52 with the original 52PS is certainly worth upgrading to pots 8 with a service too. Its a remarkable pre that will serve you for decades you probably won’t need to look further up the Naim ladder…

1 Like

That is my intention as well, but will my NAP 180 work with the 52s?
I am driving the AE1s, which is easy load for the 180

Simply - yes. Very well.

1 Like

As Ian states no problem with the 180.
52s don’t come up that often so if the deal is good and affordable with a service go for it

1 Like

Servicing will not cost much - relative to the value of the 52 & its PS (note - value, not its cost).

What a great building block, for the future… :blush:

2 Likes

Completely agreed, the fantastic 52 pre at the heart of any setup.

The almost-as-fantastic 82 is the heart of my system… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Well said - ‘value’ not its cost.
Any issue if the 52 is a early 1991 set (74XXX) and the 52PS (71XXX)?
I will definitely re-cap and upgrade the POTs, just waiting for my local dealer to advise on the cost.

1 Like

You could argue that the ‘value’ of a 52 is some proportion of the price of the current 252.

Do this ‘sum’ on my 82 (built 2001 - 170xxx) - at 2010 prices - I paid around 26% of the then price of the 282. Servicing it cost a bit over £200, at Class A.

This… is extremely good ‘value’ - IMO… :blush:

1 Like

I read in this forum that the 52s earlier than 1995 has a different layout, as such I am wondering if is there any difference between earlier and later versions of the 52s? If it is just the recapping + POTs 8 then I will have no worries in getting the 1991 model that is being offered to me.

1 Like

You probably need @NeilS to answer this…

1 Like