Qutest, Hugo TT2, Mscaler

Yes I think that is the one he uses Bluesfan, he also has high end Simaudio pre and power amps in his system, no Naim. Thanks for that link, lots of good info there

Anyone tried using a Raspberry Pi into the Chord Dac and can comment on sound quality?

I used a Chord TT feeding SN2 for a while, and really liked the combination. A 250Dr was then added (SN2 was functioning as a preAmp only) which improved things quite a bit. Biggest surprise was when i tried the TT straight into the the 250DR - i thought it sounded better by by-passing the SN3.

Yes. I did a Pi into a Chord Hugo 2, it was ok, but frankly just looked a bit agricultural sitting on top of a 300. Sound quality was impressive for what it was, but it is easily surpassed … I then went to a SoTM but never quite liked that… now using a 2Go with my Hugo2…very happy. I am getting quite impressed with Chord, might consider adding a 2Yu so I can experience other Dacs

1 Like

Have finally got my SN3 (four-weeks earlier than expected) and unboxed it and plugged it all in correctly. However, I’m now experiencing an issue where I am getting really bad ‘hum’, that increases with the volume knob, from the Qutest whenever it is plugged in to the SN3 :frowning:

I immediately unplugged the Qutest and the hum went away, so am guessing there is an issue with the CHORD power supply which is weird as I wasn’t getting this with my Cambridge Audio amp which I disconnected this morning.

I’ve tried another power supply (USB power supply from Google) and an Anker PowerCore 20100 20000mAh / 4.8a Powerbank and both of these have resolved the problem in the interim.

To confirm, I’m connecting the Qutest to the SN3 via QED Performance RCA’s.

A couple of question please:

1. Obviously I’d like to continue using the Original CHORD power supply - any suggestions on how to resolve the issue please?
  2. Whats the preferred RMS setting for the Qutest please, am running green (2v) which seams fine to me.

Out of interest is there a grounding switch on the SN3 that you put between chassis and float… try changing the setting.
Essentially it sounds like you have a ground loop…

Unfortunately not, I think they are primarily on NAIM source equipment.

Update - Have just come across this thread and @anon23154165 looks to have had a similar issue - https://community.naimaudio.com/t/chord-qutest-super-nait-3-buzzing-through-speakers-and-sn2-too/10272?u=gav_sw20

Do you have any other sources other than the Qutest plugged into the SN3 ?

Nothing else, just the Qutest.

I plugged in my streamer (CXN v1) using the same cables and SN3 input (STREAM) and had no issue.

What I haven’t tried is plugging in another source as well as the Qutest (maybe a CD player) to see if that proves some sort of ground.

1 Like

Hi Simon

I’m late to the chat. Did you try an 555PS with the NDX2 before you decided on the DAC route?

I ask as I have a 555PS DR into an NDX2 and wondering if a bare NDX2 into a DAVE would be better?

Thanks

Yes this is what’s missing here with the Qutest connected on its own. You can always connect a wire from the ground post on the SN3 to mains earth which should stop the hum. Had the same issue with a Qutest and a Nait 1.

1 Like

I had the same problem with the Qutest into a SN 2. I’m not using the supplied PS. I had an extra Allo Shanti PS laying around. I had the hum with the wall wart and the Shanti.
I ran a ground wire from the SN2 ground post to the Shanti ground post, that eliminated the ground loop.

Good question.
I would also like to add…
Would a additional PS555 DR on the NDX2 with the Dave benefit further or not at all.

I’ve tried to find a clear answer to that question, but the general consensus is that a power supply doesn’t add anything if using an external DAC

We wait to hear from Simon then, thank you.

I had a similar ground hum issue, out of the speakers, with my recently acquired SN3, with Chord HugoTT2 in and out of the chain. The addition of a ground cable (single wire) taken from the grounding post on the SN3 to the earth on a separate 13amp plug, plugged into the mains, immediately resolved the hum.

The SN3 is a great product if anyone is ‘sitting on the fence’ regarding purchase, and is unable to demo during lockdown.

Thanks - so I literally strip the earth wire from some flux, wire the earth to the relevant plug socket, whack an o-shaped connected on the other end and screw that into the turntable earth binding post?

Yes ! Although I have just temporarily wound the earth tail around the grounding post as my spade connectors weren’t to hand. Wire to the earth inside a spare 13 amp plug, close up and plug in. Easy to buy the bits online if you have none at home.

2 Likes

Great stuff, I’ve got a box of bits so will whip one up tonight.

1 Like

Are you using RCA - RCA interconnects?

When using a Hi-Line with an adapter to RCA (Qutest) the hum went away for me. You can improve the sound further by using a power bank with the Qutest and will also remove the hum but if you use a din-RCA the hum will go.

Other than that, the earthing cable you mention above will sort it.

No - but the Mscaler will improve the Dave.