Qutest, Hugo TT2, Mscaler

Interested in this as I currently use the Project Stream Ultra and it’s does a super job. I use it in Wi-Fi mode and USB Audioquest Carbon to the Mscaler. Besides tweaking, a new streamer is probably next on my upgrade path. As I want to stay with Wi-fi I’ve looked at the Auralic streamers, ND5 XS2 and, although not sure if it has Wi-fi, the DCS bridge.

One thing on the MiND, it doesn’t have USB which would mean a change for me. Looking forward to more thoughts on these streamers.

Yes, the left of the right trio (if you see what I mean!) is the DXOP which represents sample rate. And it never changes from red. The buttons themselves are redundant for now, but this led always shows red.

Which means you are sending a 44.1 kHz signal to the mscalar, which is normal.

If the right led on the left back is white (full oversample) , and you have the twin BNCs to your DAC you will be outputting 705.6 oversampled digital to your DAC… the mscalar is working as intended.

If you send a 96 kHz to the mscalar then that input LED will be green instead of red… with 96 kHz you will output a 768 kHz signal via the two BNC leads.

The left LED of the right bank represents signal INPUT sample rate and has the following colours

1 Like

Ist picture I’m sending 44.1 kHz to MScaler via ND5XS2 BNC to BNC input 1 on Mscaler

2nd picture 96 kHz to Mscaler

Full oversampled output to Qutest on both

3 Likes

So in that picture… you have 44.1kHz input to mscalar and ASSUMING you have the DX leads set up properly on the back… BNC 1 and BNC 2 … then you are outputting 705.6 kHz

If you don’t have the leads setup properly then the max you will output into your DAC is 176.4.

The colour on Qutest DAC for a 176.4 input blue… and 705.6 input purple. (This is in the viewing glass… not the buttons)… we can’t see this in your pictures.

I think this a classic case of all the gear but no idea. Thanks for your help.

You know I was sat on the sofa going back and forth between sample rates, and I could hear a difference, but I was telling myself I must be imagining it because DXOP never changed from red. The beer didn’t help.

Now for some proper listening. Thanks again.

1 Like

I hadn’t. It looks really interesting… and, for me, it’s the perfect form factor as well!

I’m good for now but it has been added to the watch list for when I get the itch to upgrade… or in my case, add to.

It may be this one:
Moon 780d v2 streamer

As shown in the link above, we gave it a try and it was very good. However, we preferred music when it came from the Naim CDS3/555PSDR. Was this due to the quality of the network upstream of the streamer at the time? I don’t know but I do remember preferring the Chord combo with opticalRendu in terms of both resolution and emotional engagement in the music.

YMMV.

Best, BF

1 Like

Just worked my way through that thread… very interesting. I’d looked at the OpticalRendu in the past but didn’t spend much time there. I also looked at the Meridian 210 streamer that @MrUnderhill recommended.

Both of these are even more compact than the Mind2 and are leading the pack for when I do make the move to bridge my Roon NUC to MScaler.

Yes I think that is the one he uses Bluesfan, he also has high end Simaudio pre and power amps in his system, no Naim. Thanks for that link, lots of good info there

Anyone tried using a Raspberry Pi into the Chord Dac and can comment on sound quality?

I used a Chord TT feeding SN2 for a while, and really liked the combination. A 250Dr was then added (SN2 was functioning as a preAmp only) which improved things quite a bit. Biggest surprise was when i tried the TT straight into the the 250DR - i thought it sounded better by by-passing the SN3.

Yes. I did a Pi into a Chord Hugo 2, it was ok, but frankly just looked a bit agricultural sitting on top of a 300. Sound quality was impressive for what it was, but it is easily surpassed … I then went to a SoTM but never quite liked that… now using a 2Go with my Hugo2…very happy. I am getting quite impressed with Chord, might consider adding a 2Yu so I can experience other Dacs

1 Like

Have finally got my SN3 (four-weeks earlier than expected) and unboxed it and plugged it all in correctly. However, I’m now experiencing an issue where I am getting really bad ‘hum’, that increases with the volume knob, from the Qutest whenever it is plugged in to the SN3 :frowning:

I immediately unplugged the Qutest and the hum went away, so am guessing there is an issue with the CHORD power supply which is weird as I wasn’t getting this with my Cambridge Audio amp which I disconnected this morning.

I’ve tried another power supply (USB power supply from Google) and an Anker PowerCore 20100 20000mAh / 4.8a Powerbank and both of these have resolved the problem in the interim.

To confirm, I’m connecting the Qutest to the SN3 via QED Performance RCA’s.

A couple of question please:

1. Obviously I’d like to continue using the Original CHORD power supply - any suggestions on how to resolve the issue please?
  2. Whats the preferred RMS setting for the Qutest please, am running green (2v) which seams fine to me.

Out of interest is there a grounding switch on the SN3 that you put between chassis and float… try changing the setting.
Essentially it sounds like you have a ground loop…

Unfortunately not, I think they are primarily on NAIM source equipment.

Update - Have just come across this thread and @anon23154165 looks to have had a similar issue - https://community.naimaudio.com/t/chord-qutest-super-nait-3-buzzing-through-speakers-and-sn2-too/10272?u=gav_sw20

Do you have any other sources other than the Qutest plugged into the SN3 ?

Nothing else, just the Qutest.

I plugged in my streamer (CXN v1) using the same cables and SN3 input (STREAM) and had no issue.

What I haven’t tried is plugging in another source as well as the Qutest (maybe a CD player) to see if that proves some sort of ground.

1 Like

Hi Simon

I’m late to the chat. Did you try an 555PS with the NDX2 before you decided on the DAC route?

I ask as I have a 555PS DR into an NDX2 and wondering if a bare NDX2 into a DAVE would be better?

Thanks

Yes this is what’s missing here with the Qutest connected on its own. You can always connect a wire from the ground post on the SN3 to mains earth which should stop the hum. Had the same issue with a Qutest and a Nait 1.

1 Like