Qutest, Hugo TT2, Mscaler

If you try the Chords straight into your power amp, I would be most interested in how it compares to your 282. Have a go please — and it could save you a small fortune! :scream:

1 Like

Could you provide details on which cable into where? Would the HC still come into play? Sorry for the ignorance, just want to be careful before I plug things in.

The Hicap would be redundant, as its only job is to power the 282.
You would probably need to have a cable made up to run a Chord DAC direct into a 250, as it would be 2 x RCA to XLR, which is not a common configuration.

1 Like

My dealer said he will make me a cable later this week. I will post my findings soon…stay tuned all.

4 Likes

Why not just use RCA to XLR adapters?

more

Related image

1 Like

Because the XLR input on the 250 is for both L+R channel, so you need a cable that takes both channels (Chord) to one input (Naim).

1 Like

That’s correct, the single XLR input on the 250 is a slightly unusual use of the connector, so even the adapter would have to be customised to ensure the correct connections. Besides, I would always use the correct cable rather than adding connections through an adapter where possible.

2 Likes

OK then, once again a peculiar Naim connection :slight_smile:

where did/how did you get your cable chrisSU?

To get things up and running, I just bought a relatively cheap Flashback Premier cable. Nothing fancy, but they are reasonable cables, and they know how to make stuff that works with Naim gear. I’m now using a DNM solid core cable, which is doing a decent job, but might switch back to the Flashback at some point to see if I can hear any difference.
The trouble is that you need to get a cable made up to order, so it’s not so easy to try something then return it.

2 Likes

Thankfully my Dealer is game to try and see what the TT2 can do as pre with the 250, so he is going to work some cable magic for me.

2 Likes

Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Great that you have a dealer who is curious too — not only interested in shifting boxes… :smiley:

Though what happens if you do no longer need the 282 and Hicap, and suddenly have new funds? Maybe your dealer needs to make up another pair of cables — to try a 300DR? :rofl:

1 Like

I never tried any Chord Dac as a preamp into the 250DR when I owned one, because of the custom made cable required. But I did try my TT2 into my Anthem MCA 50 and a Belles reference 150A V2. Each time it sounded fabulous, so I know the TT2 is a great match for non Naim amps as a Pre. I used the XLR outputs of the TT2 into the balanced inputs on both amps.

1 Like

Perhaps a 2nd 250…

Any news on your tt2 to 250 experiment?

1 Like

That cable is arriving today. I should have it in the system by tomorrow and will post first impressions. Stay tuned…

2 Likes

well have paid deposit to home demo the TT2 and Mscaler and ordered a flashback female din - RCA cable for my super sarum din-din source cable. (may also order one of their RCA - XLR cables as pretty cheap price wise)

may then demo the dave after the TT2 but afraid for my finances if i like it…

2 Likes

Fingers in my ears - lalalalalalalalalalala.

A friend is demoing the Qutest and is VERY impressed with a SBooster LPSU.

Now I am VERY happy with my system, but I still found myself making a couple of phone calls and getting a price for a Qutest + Mscalar.

I have GOT to stop reading these threads!!

M

2 Likes

SO, i picked up the cable from my dealer today. Shout out to Steve @Hififofum in Toronto Canada.

I have only just started to play. So 1. The cable is not burned in yet (after 50 hours it should be in better shape) and 2. First time playing with the TT2 as a pre into my 250.2 (so the pre itself my still need to warm up the circuits).

All that said, things are very close. The fact that I will need to give this an extended listen, says something.

If I was forced to choose right now, the edge would still have to be with the 282. A little more open, smooth with better seperation. I am really picking though.

I also feel I have to give my ears a chance to adjust to a different presentation. Which I have had to do with all new additions and changes in my system. Even my Neat XLS’s required adjustment on my part and they were leagues ahead of my Kudos C20’s.

I will continue to post over the week as things develop.

2 Likes