Qutest, Hugo TT2, Mscaler

Nuneaton

Rugby?

For me it would have to be… The Stadium of Light :wink:

I am still waiting to hear Fourlegs (Nick’s) comparison of the Antipodes K 50 to the Innous Statement he currently uses. Both are top notch servers (transports?) into his Mscaler/Dave. :man_shrugging:

Do you mind, its lovely on this side of the M6 :rofl:

1 Like

Well ordered this cable balanced cable , and it finally arrived from the US… have been running for a few days… and am enjoying it… I like what it brings out in voices… it has a smooth slightly warm mid… with a bit of upper mid sparkle… listening to Carla Thomas singing B-A-B-Y and it’s truly gorgeous. Hi hats sound nicely textured too … with a range of frequencies rather just a Tsh Tsh

That sounds great… was it from the one I linked too or a different supplier?!?

Your link… it’s a cottage industry cable

Excellent. I have the linked item in my watch list. I really like my TQ Ultra Silver but at that price, may well pick a pair of them up to try out.

It will join the list of other cable parts to get :grinning: I know which power cable and plugs I’ll using and how I’ll make them up but I’m in the middle of a central heating overhaul so it will have to wait for a month or so until I get the time to fiddle around with that again.

Actually. Cable question for you. Any recommendations on BNC cable. I’m going to put together a 2nd pair of cables for the TT2/Mscaler… These will be used when I take the TT2 & M Scaler when I’m away holiday etc (wishful thinking at the moment!). And, have you ever tried to make USB cables?

I’m using a pair of Mark Grant HDX1 BNC-BNC cables, marked improvement over the free cables and only £30 per cable.
BNCs are a lovely tight fit unlike the free cables.

1 Like

I actually have one of those. They are really well made. I was more thinking about the tinkering around aspect. Something that I’ll be making myself. Buying the cable from the wheel etc.

I am using the Wave High Fidelity Storm cables… it’s very much a case of diminishing returns… but I went for them.
I actually found the supplied BNCs rather good too.

I guess I was just unlucky with the ones I got with mine. Poor connection in the plugs made the signal unstable.

I think I’ll put together a short pair as a, “Mobile” option.

I also use the Wave cables - well made but very expensive

2 Likes

Fret not, I have been doing a lot of comparing and have also been side tracked into trying HQPlayer which is pre installed in the K50. As a result of that I have recently been sucked into something else that is more like a black hole compared to anything to do with much tamer rabbit holes but which is yielding some divine sound quality none the less. Tony, email me or message if you are impatient to know more on that.

2 Likes

No rush Nick, I will keep my eyes open.

Here are my thoughts on my options…

Auralic Aries G1: -
Pros:Price, screen, toslink out (for Chord Qutest)
Cons:iOS app only, synergy with SN3, appearance in the rack with other NAIM equipment, future support / SW roadmap / bug fixes

NDX2: -
Pros:Synergy with SN3, screen, Android friendly NAIM app, NAIM support, dev, roadmap etc…
Cons:Price, no toslink out (for Chord Qutest), won’t use the DAC functionality

ND5 XS 2: -
Pros:Price (maybe even a demo model availavle), synergy with SN3, Android friendly NAIM app, NAIM support, dev, roadmap etc…
Cons:Screen, no toslink out (for Chord Qutest), won’t use DAC functionality

Having a long think about it I am going to go with the ND5 XS 2 as others have suggested. Whilst I like the look of the screens on the other models, I’ve spent the last week with my CXN screen turned off and I think I actually prefer it as I like to listen in the dark anyway.

The extra £££ (vs. an NDX2) could possible go on a used M-Scaler which will likely bring more to the party vs. the NDX2 and the Qutest on its own.

3 Likes

I have read this post with great interest over the last few months and gained the itch to try a chord tt2 as a pre amp. My question is that does chord use the same Philips codes for there remotes like Naim, Linn and the like? Ie would a Naim remote for a 202 work the volume?

And would a tt2 bare be a on par with ndx2 555dr combo if used as a DAC ( Just in general I understand it’s a personal preference )

If you’re using a TT2 as a preamp, why would you use a Naim remote? The 202 would be redundant, so you could just use the supplied Chord remote.

Only because I have a r-com and would rather use that than the small plastic remote that comes with the chord.