R.I.P. Diego Maradona

I can’t think of anybody who I would say was better.
Great player to watch and the second goal he scored against us in the World Cup was worthy of winning any game on its own.
I remember somebody asked Gary Lineker what was the most skilful thing he’d seen on a football field and he said he played a benefit game with Maradona and during the warm up he suddenly kicked the ball high into the sky beyond the floodlights. When it came down without moving he kicked it back up just as high again several times. If you think it’s easy try it.

2 Likes

The Asif Kapadia documentary about him is fascinating and was watched with just as much interest by my football hating wife as me.

Puts his Napoli years in a social historical context not just a sporting one

Bruce

2 Likes

Normally when it’s a person I don’t admire I choose silence but on this occasion I’m going to say what I feel. No doubt he was an immensely talented footballer but it was a seriously flawed genius. I’m actually sanguine about the whole “hand of god” dubious refereeing decisions have always been a feature of sport, but Diego Maradona was suspended and then sanctioned for the intake of ephedrine at the 1994 World Cup. Ultimately a cheat.

Regards,

Lindsay

6 Likes

From the NYT:
If the flaws diminished what Maradona was, they burnished what he represented to those who watched him, those who adored him. That such beauty could emerge from such tumult made him mean something more; it gave him a resonance that stretched beyond even his outsize ability. His darkness sharpened the contours of his light.

3 Likes

One like many … One like us … He was nobody … He was no any … May he rest in peace ok but just cheer, I saw on TV interviews with Neapolitans who are disgusting … … Let’s think more about the economy and the covid that destroys the world! Hi.

What does this mean Andrea??.

Compared and praised as a God on earth or that he created Naples and that Naples is Maradona is absurd to listen! :thinking::roll_eyes::confused:. Let’s put your feet on the ground please … Does the death of a simple doctor who saves lives no longer count for anything?

Agree with that, and I know there’s a North/South thing going on, but using the word disgusting is not necessary is it?

No tears here.

1 Like

Your obviously not Neapolitan then.

No, but nice Ice Cream.

3 Likes

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t follow football, but can respect the passing of a talented player who may have had on, or off field controversies.

His personal off-field addictions surely we can put down to human fallibility. Other unwise aspects of his life may or may not be linked but I cannot assume for one minute anyone would have chosen that path if he was well-paid without external influences.

3 Likes

Tell us more !

To an extent, I can accept human frailties that lead to recreational drug use etc, but he deliberately took steroids before the 1994 World Cup in the fullest knowledge that that would be cheating his opponents.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Today’s headlines, tomorrow’s chip paper. In the end he appears to have reaped as he sowed, so justice done I guess.

2 Likes

god-bothering netball player falls off perch

Nation goes bananas. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I didn’t know that and I’m a bit baffled how a soccer player would really benefit from anabolic steroids, they need to be fit but not necessarily bulky.

That sounds awful and must make you feel terrible for a simple error.

What an Orwellian society the UK has become, 1984 was a warning not a manual.

1 Like

Ephedrine is not an anabolic steroid. It’s a stimulant similar to caffeine and is found in many prepared medications. It is often used to achieve weight loss. This is what Maradona tested positive for in the 1994 World Cup.

1 Like

No, adrenergic stimulants certainly aren’t steroids - was simply responding to LindsayM’s comment that Maradonna used steroids - as I said I don’t really follow football so that detail would not be one I’d have remebered.