Rack on strings - senseful or not?

Good morning,

over the last few months I was very unhappy with the situation - how should I place my Supernait and my CD5x without losing musical details etc. I was thinking a lot about resonances, very complicated racks and so on.
Finally, I came up with a solution, that seems to work very fine. I simply attached one nice pice of wood to strings and fixed it on the upper inside of my highboard. In my opinion it is the easiest way to de-couple my amp and my CD player from the rest of the room and the sound seems to prove my theory. I have a much more solid base, a broader space, perfect rhythm and pace - I am happy.
Nevertheless, I am curious about your opinion if this approach. The material was less than 40€ AND I like the look. Did you ever see something comparable and what were your experiences?

Looking forward to your replies,
Julian

2 Likes

An excellent solution !!!
Now you can experiment with different cords, is nylon better than natural fibres, what about steel vs brass wire ???

Seriously !!! an excellent idea & as you are pleased with the sound improvements - even better
Enjoy

3 Likes

I like it, very elegant, and the proof is in the sound. You may over invested though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

A nice experiment, and, as Mike says, the proof is in the end performance - if it works, it’s good!

One question, how did you ensure all is exactly and perfectly level? Do you have tensioners or adjusters on the spending cables?

2 Likes

You’ve hidden the power and speaker cables too?

I have myself idly wondered about a hanging rack, though only hanging from ceiling, not thought of hanging from a shelf. From a ceiling there may well be too much freedom of movement making it swing too much when touched, unless also anchored to the floor. There will of course be resonances, in this case primarily the hanging cords, but maybe dampable with something resilient, like maybe blu-tak moulded around the ends - something you could experiment with.

The great thing is the minimal cost! (If it works - and your experience suggests it does, though maybe it depends what it is compared with.)

1 Like

I’d have thought that vibrations picked up by the shelf above would travel down the wires into the boxes, from which there is no escape. One of the purposes of a rack is not to isolate from vibration but to allow them to escape with minimal detrimental effect by effective coupling to the floor. It’s no doubt an interesting experiment though.

1 Like

Brilliant! I can think of one very well known pair of speakers whos maker put tiny screw guide holes in the top with the recommendation that hanging them from the ceiling to the same height as a stand was preferable to using their optionally supplied stand for ultimate performance.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:This made a friend of mine around 1996,.he hung both electronics and speakers from the ceiling.

He said himself.that it was much better than having the equipment on standard Hifi-racks and speaker stands.
He is an audio constructor so he experiments a lot.
I had no opportunity to listen before he did this, and then afterwards.

But it played very well,.that is the only thing I can say.
He later moved to southern Sweden,.so if he still has everything hanging from the roof,…I don’t know.

/Peder🌼

Hi Richard,

I consider this solution as a prototype with minimum financial effort :slight_smile: . Therefore, I simply used rope clamps, that keep the wooden board in position.
For sure, a carpenter might have more elegant solutions, but for now, it works out well.

Hi,
I could hide the power cable behind the side board, but the Speaker cable remain a Problem.

Hi Adam,

thank you for sharing this! I was not Aware that a comparable solution is on the market. I must admit, that stillpoint Looks at bit more sophisticated than mine, but the principle remains the same :slight_smile:

Good idea.

Another possible idea: Herbie’s Fat Gliders do much the same thing but decouple the speaker from the room. We can turn the 552 up to 1:00 with the stylus on a stationary LP, and it will not feed back when I tap the turntable base. We use the Herbie’s Footers under the Verdier in lieu of the factory spring suspension. They do cost a little more.

It is an interesting idea and pleasing to hear it works for you :+1:. The theory of course is well documented. The natural resonant frequency of your strings in tension will actually vary with the tensile stress within them so it’s trial and error thing in practice. The decoupling at the hooks is playing a key role too, similar to the fraims cup and balls by breaking the frequency to another resilient element.

If you really wanted to have fun, try replacing the strings with springs. Now that would be interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Tensile tension will decrease over a short space of time. You will need to restring it every other weekend.

Not so. The tension and indeed tensile stress will remain constant. Creep will change the length of the string, nominally, and it is this that will change the natural frequency of the hanger. :+1:If this is significant, which I doubt, then yes restring…what fun is to be had !!!

A quick twist of that hook will adjust the level as the string settles. I’m not sure that this would be my idea of fun, but I like the simplicity.

Absolutely, it would adjust the level. But it wouldn’t reset the natural frequency… my intended point.

A new hobby…string theory…now where have I heard that before ? :thinking:

Full-Suspension Novus from pARTicular:
pARTicular_novus-fulSuspensn
I cannot comment on this one, but for over 20 years pARTicular rack worked extremely well for my all-Naim system.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.