Radio Paradise FLAC........and ALAC

Not sure about ALAC, but certainly FLAC. (Would there be any difference?)

(And you’ll need to install minimstreamer as part of the mininserver install :smile:)

1 Like

The RP lossless stream is FLAC in an Ogg container, not ALAC. As Gavin says, the combination of MinimServer with MinimStreamer can present this stream to Naim streamers.

1 Like

The ALAC stream was introduced for the iOS app, as RP found that there were problems with FLAC streams over AirPlay, so probably not relevant to Minimserver.

1 Like

Thanks, I thought they abandoned FLAC but it sounds like it was just for OS devices.

I have Minimserver installed but having trouble getting the UI menu to appear so that I can install the other packages. I’m clicking the icon and I only get two options instead of the full menu. Not sure what’s going on. I think it might be the Java version (JRE) I have installed but when I remove it per the install instructions Minimserver reinstalls it. I’ll go through the set up again when I get home.

The easiest option is to install minimwatch on another machine on the network and use that to install minimstreamer.

Ok, so I can install minimwatch on my Mac and use that to install minimstreamer on my QNAP?

Yes: https://minimserver.com/install-macosx.html

Great, I read the first part of that previously but didn’t get to the part where I can use minimwatch from my Mac to manage minimserver on my QNAP. Thanks for the heads up.

Ok I have minimwatch installed on my Mac and installed minimstreamer. And I installed .m3u playlist on my NAS so it’s scanned by minimeserver.

I still don’t have the UI on the minimserver app on the QNAP so I can’t confirm ministreamer is running. I see it’s installed from minimwatch though.

I’m able to access the RP playlists from Kazoo but they don’t play.

I’m not sure why I can’t see the UI from my QNAP, kinda frustrating.

This is what I can’t confirm:
If you have installed MinimStreamer succesfully, MinimStreamer will be started automatically when you start MinimServer. You can check that MinimStreamer is running by looking at the System tab of the MinimServer properties dialog. If MinimStreamer is running, the properties stream.converter , stream.record and stream.transcode will appear in the System tab.

I set the stream.transcode property to flac:wav as suggested way up the topic, and just ran the playlist via the upnp option in the Naim app.

If you’ve successfully installed minimstreamer, these properties will be visible in the properties option under minimwatch.

Given that kazoo found the playlists, I’m assuming you set the path to the files in minimserver.

1 Like

Ok, I missed that part. I set the transcode property from minimwatch and hit apply. it seems to take it.

I see the radio stations/playlist in Kazoo and the Naim app. They still don’t play in either.

So I can see the playlist and stations in my Naim App but they don’t play.

I made the .m3u playlist by copying the code from above into a text file then changed the .txt extension to .m3u. Is this the correct way to do this?

Yes, that’s right.

Just to confirm: in the Naim app, under upnp, when you select minimserver, you can see the playlist - the name of the file you created. If you double click on that, do you see the three stations listed?

And if you try to play one of these, do you see any messages - in the app or on your streamer?

Can you rescan / restart minimserver from within minimwatch just to make sure it’s got the latest changes?

Perhaps there’s a mininserver error log to check to see if there’s a helpful message.

(Sorry, it’s the blind leading the blind now!)

Yes, exactly that, naim app, upnp, minimserver, playlist, name of file, 3 stations, click any of the stations. I see the message one track has loaded then no track playing.

I’ve rescanned from minimwatch and from minimserver on the QNAP and nothing seems to get it to work. Thanks for following up with me. So close yet so far!

Can you post the text of your .m3u file? The names displayed in your screen shot look odd compared to what mine shows (from the original ‘code’ up above).

that’s what I thought too. maybe I pasted it wrong.

Here it is:

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1,[RP;flac] Radio Paradise FLAC

http://stream.radioparadise.com/flac

#EXTINF:-1,[RPMellow;flac] Radio Paradise Mellow Mix FLAC

http://stream.radioparadise.com/mellow-flac

#EXTINF:-1,[JBRadio2;flac] JB Radio2

http://199.189.87.9:10999/flac

Here’s a screen shot of the file.

Probably a stupid suggestion, but try taking out the blank lines.

Ok, I’ll give it shot. I noticed when I copied the text from above I pasted in background color too so I’ve eliminated that now.

Here’s the text without lines, still didn’t work.

When I use this file:

I get this:

So that weird sign in the JB Radio station name is gone.
Clicking on the station loads the track but it doesn’t play.

The file name extension doesn’t seem to be .m3u