Raspberry Pi as simple NAS and DLNA server

Hi Mike33, thanks for sending me the link. Exactly the sort of out of the box thinking I need. Looks like fun. I’ll order one and explore. Really appreciated.

I can’t understand why you don’t mount a NAS on your Pi over the Ethernet using the fstab file and use one of the standard network file systems like SMB or NFS (ensure cifs-utils is installed) and use that file source for your media server on your Pi… (generally that is the regular way of doing these things) you certainly don’t need to have all the media physically on your Pi… I certainly don’t… unless I mis understand you and that is what you are doing, after all that is the purpose of using a NAS.

The later Pi models have improved I/O (this is more important than CPU for our uses) and makes this a breeze in terms of performance
I do love the Pi, as you can do what you want to do rather than being constrained by a developer or a software vendor, which of course was one of the main points of the Pi’s and the later models are rather powerful… and even an early generation low power Pi has no issue running Asset UPnP server performantly, and mounting 800 Gbytes of media via SMB over the home LAN from a NAS.

2 Likes

The Pi’s are inexpensive and I follow your line of thinking. I have a Pi4 as my NAS with a 2tb USB drive attached running Asset UPNP server. My backup is simply my laptop where the music files are mirrored. I’ve shutdown/removed most everything on the NAS pi so it’s running with little resource use other than ssh for file transfers and Asset.

If I wanted to use picoreplayer, I would just get another pi and run that on the new pi and have it see the files from the Asset pi, in fact, I do that now but instead use Gentooplayer running its OS and apps entirely in ram. It’s great having that type of control.

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk

Hi Simon, Here’s some background. I have been using the Logitech/Squeezebox infrastructure for well over 10 years. So when I decided to have a go at a pi project in response to this thread, I decide to go with picoreplayer as the OS. I already have a Mini/ITX computer as my LMS server running Daphile OS. It serves as a music source for my ripped CDs. It also serves as my streamer (I use the upnp bridge plugin to feed my only Naim device which is a Muso-2). I also have a Synology NAS that I use for non-music files.

After exploring the capabilities of the pi and picoreplayer I realized that it could perform as a full LMS Server giving it DLNA and also streaming capabilities via plugins.

Now that I am finished experimenting, I am going to keep the pi running only as an endpoint to my Daphile OS and use it as a headphone station. There is no USB thumb drive attached now only the dac/amp dongle. I’ve got my eye on a little Topping E30 dac and L30 amp to replace the dongle I’m using now.

After my own experience and after reading some of the other posts here, it’s evident that the pi can be used in many ways in a music delivery infrastructure. It would be an inexpensive, fun and rewarding project especially for those that like to tinker.

2 Likes

@Janus You’re welcome. Please post a report back on the outcome of you project.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.