Rattling & ‘buzzing’ sounds from NAS cured

Thought I’d share how I went about curing the annoying buzz and rattling vibrating sound from my Synology DS916+ NAS today - it’s become more and more intrusive over the last 3 months! Even though the NAS is in a separate room, it was making a racket that was hard to ignore, and I’ve been leaving it off because of this. I don’t use my NAS for my HiFi system (I have a UnitiCore), but do use it as backup for the Core, my iTunes library and for photos and films.

Following Research on Google and YouTube, it appears this ‘buzzing’ is a common ‘feature’ of some of the Synology NASs.

This video was especially helpful in getting me started with how to dismantle my DS916+ without snapping any fragile plastic pieces or stripping any screws. You’ll see that the chap who posted the video had a few goes before he successfully eliminated the vibrations and rattling;

In addition, I used adhesive Velcro strips in the bottom of the drive bay rails, and low and behold, complete elimination of the buzzing vibrations. There’s another video on this here;

Thought I’d post this in case any forum members are having similar issues.

ATB. George.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.