Re-cap or service information?

Is it possible to contact naim and get detailed information about what was done during a re-cap/service and if so, through which channel? I am a little curious what was done to my amps during the re-cap that I recently had. Also, can I contact them and get service information regarding second hand equipment when the seller claims that a service has been done at the factory? Is it possible to verify that the component for sale has been serviced and when?

1 Like

When buying used naim gear you can call naim with the serial number to check service history if carried out by naim.

With equipment you had serviced Iā€™ve tried on a couple of occasions to get more information about what was done but had no success. This was through Steve Hopkins who used to be first point of contact for servicing.

2 Likes

Naim are able to provide service and repair details if you can give them the serial number.

2 Likes

The job sheet supplied when the serviced item is returned contains a summary too.

2 Likes

This might depend on territory and who did the work though, the job sheets I received from the distributor in Germany (who does much of the work locally) were never very detailed.

2 Likes

That would have been nice, but no job sheet in any of the boxes.

Ok, thatā€™s a shame, sorry!

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing that you are outside of the UK. In which case I would ask your distributor for details. Do you know whether it was sent back to Naim in the UK or serviced locally?

1 Like

I am located in Sweden. I left the units to my dealer who in turn sent them to the Swedish Naim distributor after which they were forwarded to Naim in Salisbury. When the units came back I asked my dealer about what had had been done more specifically. My dealer sent this question to the Naim distributor and the answer came back like this: ā€œNaim does not send any documentation with either service or DR upgrade. We have pointed out these wishes a few times.ā€ They told me to try and contact Naim directly to see if they could tell me what had been done.

1 Like

I am curious whether there could be a reluctance to pass on specific details. I guess that both the dealer and distributor have made money out of handling the units on your behalf and perhaps a little bit of ā€˜fogā€™ suits them best.

OK, thanks. Then if you contact Naim and give the serial number of the unit, they should be able to tell you.

1 Like

Donā€™t know why they would. The price of re-capping is fixed, and you know that it involves re-capping. If they find and fix some issues on the side, thatā€™s nothing to hide. For servicing, the price is also fixed and one knows in advance that there might possibly be nothing to do (depending on type of unit and age, obviously)

1 Like

Quite, servicing is of course more than just re-capping, but thereā€™s no great secret to the work and the parts Naim use, and provided no additional repairs or parts are required it will be the same from one unit to the next.

1 Like

Hi everyone
After reading this It got me thinking that my power supplies maybe due for a service .
So does anyone know the current cost for servicing CD555ps and supercap
Non DR ?

It will depend on where you are (UK or elsewhere). Your dealer should be able to give you an estimate.

Hi

Thank you for your reply

Iā€™m in the UK however before I call my dealer I wondered if the forum members had any idea.

I believe a service plus Dr for supercap is around 2K and for the 555 is around 2.5K but wondered what just a service cost wasā€¦

And UK HQ will not have the information. One must contact the German distributor to get service history if so.

True

Any Naim dealer can tell you the price, which will be considerably less than a conversion to DR. You will in any case need to contact a dealer as they are the only people who can send your fear to Naim service dept.
A cheaper alternative is to use Class A in Sheffield, who are the only Naim authorised service agent in the UK (other than Naimā€™s own service dept) and who also do a great job.

1 Like

:smiley: