Real use case on speaker cable damaging naim amp?

Hardly. I was trying my best to help and explain.
But… you do not seem to be either listening or understanding perhaps…

YMMV, as always.

Trying To Be Agreeable

PS. If you (as the OP) really don’t like what I have posted - please Flag it to our Moderators.

That configuration isn’t strictly litz. The conductors in the braid might be but that is just twisted pairing. Which can reduce common mode noise.

The configuration of each pole’s conductors direct affects inductance and capacitance. A parallel un woven pair will have lower capacitance and inductance relative to the spacing of the poles. With litz the opposite is true. Which isn’t bad at all. Just not compatible.

2 Likes

Why on earth , other than for stirring up a fight, are you pursuing this. The advice couldn’t be clearer.

3 Likes

Time for :popcorn:

3 Likes

6 Likes

Not looking for advice as made clear at least 2 times. Looking for reports from users that have used cable x that caused their naim classic amp to break.

3 Likes

I’m guessing you have fitted or about to fit new cable and wish to know if you are doing damage?

1 Like

This is bad for Naim amps.

2 Likes

I’d like to have more flavours to chose from to find best sound performance rather then “this is what you get, naca5 and SL”

I have asked a manufacturer of cables about partnering those with naim and they claim they have many many naim users with no reports of issues. I guess I can trust that then.

Its your choice, if you believe them or not. Simple.

Then super lumina rides to the rescue!

Roger

1 Like

So I was right, more or less🙂
It just sounded similar to, “I’ve just put 5 litres of petrol in my Diesel car, is there any evidence that my engine will blow up?”

You can certainly trust them to sell you cables.

“Yes, guv’ner we sell loads to Naim owners. Never had to pay any money for amp repairs”

1 Like

Make a poll if you like:

For owners who didn’t use naca4/naca5/sl:

1. Did your amp break and need a repair?
  2. Did your amp get hot/become unstable but was ok when offending speaker cable was removed
  3. Never noticed a problem.

For me: 3, used Townsend Isolda with a nait xs. Wasn’t long enough, changed to naca5. Note the nait xs is more tolerant of “out of recommended spec” cables.

If I had something older, anything olive or chrome bumper then no question about it, I would use naca5 minimum 3.5m length and preferably 7m (iirc) is the optimum.

Surely you start by understanding what the amp requirements are for cables. The manufacturer would have designed/voiced their amp based on certain cabe specifications, and therefore anything you use outside that means you are on your own.

As has been said, I’v also never seen any articles on broken Amps, but I have seen several where the Amp was overheating, and was resolved when being replaced with the right sort of cable.

NACA5 specifications are as follows:
Capacitance: 16pF per metre
Resistance: 9 milliohms per metre
Inductance: 1uH per metre
Minimum length: 3.5 metres per channel, Max 20

We know that some manufacturers such as Chord and WH design cables to similar tolerances. Anything outside this, then you are running the amp in an unknown configuration. It has been said that the newer Non classic range amps are more tolerant of other cables, but I’m sure I’ve seen a couple of overheating issues on Nova’s.

2 Likes

There are probably 500 - 1000 types of compatible cables you can happily use other than A5 or SL that are not having problematic specs. I’m not sure what the issue is.

It’s a bit like buying a Ferrari and them saying “You can use any brand of tyre you want, just not Bridgestone. Everything else is fine.” and then being upset.

I find it bit funny this topic can be so so controversial :man_shrugging: Just checking if anyone, anyone, had real issues with using the wrong kind of speaker cable. Maybe there are none. Feel free to link to a topic if you find one so I can read about which cable caused what on which amp. Thanks!

5 Likes

I have tried kimber ‘woven’ speaker cables with both my SU and NAP 300DR, cables on loan from a colleague who was keen that I try them amongst other things.

Neither amp got any warmer than normal or died.

I can’t say that I noticed any difference in the sound either so I continue to use Linn K20

1 Like

I have when not used naim cables measured the amp with an infrared thermometer and it never showed above 24-25C. Which temperatures get the classic amps into shut down? Understand it’s not measured on the casing though.

1 Like

Automotive examples abound.

Even the most obedient Honda motorcycle customer may choose to ignore some of the Health and Safety advice they have issued - much of it is at best strange and designed to help bey over- vigorous interpretations of protectionist laws in some US states.

Similarly, I am so old that I remember Ducati ‘urging’ ( to put it mildly) dealers to ensure that everyone used Pirelli tyres for safety reasons ( (except of course that it wasn’t).

It was almost as if the vigorous advice were driven by profits and business relationships and not safety at all.

3 Likes

Which is perfectly expected. Since the vast majority of cables are compatible. A5 and SL are Naim’s “if in doubt, use this” cables. They don’t mandate their usage. Not sure where this idea comes from.

They have ideal specs and Naim recommend their own cable. That’s it. Probably half the people on the forum use non Naim cables. I use Atlas. Works fine. As I mentioned, there are hundreds of others to choose from after eliminating problematic ones. More cables than you could ever audition.

3 Likes