Real use case on speaker cable damaging naim amp?

I often read about the requirements about 3.5m length, NACA5 or SL (3m) etc to avoid damaging the amp. But I have never found a single use case on this forum or anywhere where it is confirmed a certain speaker cable broke a naim amp. So, is it more about synergy and maximum performance than actually damaging a power amp. I’m thinking mainly about classic boxes now, not the early ones. People seem to use 2m and up, different brands, designs and never get into critical problems?

As I understand it the geometry of cables are what more than anything sets the specifications and that shot gun dual parallell design and slow twist ala Chord Music will give similar specs as say Naca5. At least within a range where you are in no trouble.

So, anyone heard anyone blowing up a naim classic amp by using the wrong speaker cable design/brand?

The search function will reveal loads of discussion. Just follow the advice in the manual and if further help required seek advice from an authorised Naim dealer. In my experience choice of cable is largely speaker dependent.

4 Likes

Agreed. I would say there is probably one post per week, asking about this. Usually someone ‘new’ to Naim, who was not aware or just doesn’t believe it.

Worst cases are actual overheating of power amps and/or tripping out.

But… YMMV… :thinking:

5 Likes

Yes many asking about it and always referring to the manual instructions. Not my question :slight_smile:

Are there as asked for real use cases as in “I use cable brand x which is 2m and my amp just blew up” ?

There are many cases reported of ‘why is my Naim amp getting very hot or tripping out’. Usually seems to be due to using leads of very different characteristics to Naim cables (such as the woven style of construction).

Not seen many actual amp failures reported. Naim amps are better than that… :expressionless:

Your point is…???

3 Likes

If an experienced manufacturer gives health and safety instructions in the use of their product, why would anyone consider doing otherwise and take the risk of significant damage.

Even if there are no ‘real world’ cases, in my view it is extremely foolish to do otherwise.

3 Likes

Nothing is likely to explode just oscillation and/or overheating if the amp is ‘seeing’ the wrong type of load (capacitance/inductance) along with poor sound quality. The amp will protect itself from overheating by shutting off until it cools down.

4 Likes

Thanks for constructive feedback :+1:

2 Likes

What a silly topic.

Just use NACA5, as advised, then all will be well. Carry on listening to the music.

Or use something inappropriate, and have a Big Bang moment.

Your choice!

1 Like

I’m not sure your question has been answered, I too wonder why naim spec 3.5m min cable and what the effect of using shorter might be. Obviously it would be better to stick to naim recommendations but does anyone understand why and what the effects of using out of spec cable might be?

naca5 is not good enough :wink:

2 Likes

Well there is the issue of Naca’s lack of flexibility. I think there is now general acceptance that other brands can safely be used with classic amps e.g Chord but as said before seek the advice of a Naim dealer.

This might help.

2 Likes

Precisely. That is how all Naim power amps are designed - to use the speaker cables to provide the required loading - rather than have extra components within the amp (as most manufacturers do).

IMO, its an elegant and effective solution.
But… if you don’t agree & think its stupid… then… clearly …
YMMV… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I have used NAC A4 and NAC A5 with all my Naim amps.
Maybe I am stupid then… :crazy_face:

(This thread is obviously this weeks version… lols)

1 Like

Okay Superlumina it obviously is for you then😉

1 Like

Plenty of compatible cables. Naim support will even tell you if an interesting cable is safe to use.

But Naim have had damaged amps back that went into oscillation after use with some cables such as very high capacitance litz designs.

2 Likes

But… but… but… Its sooo much more fun to just rant about it and complain how stoopid it is… :crazy_face: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

How would a litz design cable geometry look like that could potentially be dangerous causing high C? It’s not like this I assume (slow twist as Chord music)

Hahaha. The things on the forum that keep people awake at night never ceases to amaze me.

3 Likes

Guess the only one ranting here is you? :wink: