Recommendations for bookshelf speakers with an Atom

Would a pair of PMC twenty5.21 be in budget? They should sound mighty good with an Atom and give a good bottom end.

3 Likes

@elverdiblanco - we’re on the same wave length. The twenty5.21’s are top of my list to try. Again, they are on the larger size, but I’ll take that if they make me smile :slight_smile: :smiley:

I have Neat Iotas driven by an Atom in my small office. Whilst obviously not having the same bass output and physicality of my active ATCs in the lounge, they are remarkably well rounded and musical speakers, ideal for near-field listening. I have not found I need to turn up the wick to get them singing, or at least no more than any other speakers I’ve had.

BTW the Iotas are rear ported, not closed box, but work well with a little wall reinforcement. Indeed, they come ready to mount on simple and cheaply available wall brackets, so don’t need to sit on a shelf. That is how I use mine.

Roger

1 Like

People say size isn’t everything. It isn’t – but when it comes to bass it can make a significant difference.

1 Like

Thanks @PeakMan - helpful to know. I love the small size of the Iota’s and the option to wall mount them. They are very different to everything else out there. If I can find somewhere to demo them then I certainly will.

I recognise that I’m playing against physics here - wanting a small speaker with a big sound. I guess it’s through demo’ing different speakers I’ll find out where I’m comfortable compromising.

Sightly worried I might end up here…

8 Likes

I tried the Tab 10s (not Sig) with a 32.5/LPS/110 and found then rather power hungry. I moved the entire system on and now have my CB Nait 2 driving some Spendor Classic 4/5s beautifully. I find that the bass rather good.

Might be worth a listen.

2 Likes

What would be wrong if you did, if it sounds good and you can afford?

1 Like

Good challenge - you’re right - as long as it sounds great I’d be happy. Looking at the picture above there might be one or two other compromises, like how comfortable would it be to work at that desk. But if it sounds amazing then maybe it’s another compromise worth making :slight_smile:

Nearfield listening, looking for bass extension from a comparatively small box? Try to listen to a pair of PMC 25.21i. I bought them 2 months ago to pair with a Star, happy ever since. I’m listing at 2.8m having them 1.8 apart in a room that is almost the same size as yours, and recently found out (while experimenting with REW, new hobby) that they sound (and measure!) better at 1.8m away, like 20-30 degrees off axis.

2 Likes

Don’t worry for the impedance, the Atom is incredibly powerful amp despite the specs. I tried the Sonetto II with the Atom and they matched perfectly.

2 Likes

Neat Iota from me - definitely worth a go, I’ve heard that combo and it’s great

1 Like

Another recommendation for Iotas, mine are on a bookshelf and are stunning.

1 Like

The Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Edition are awesome speakers worth an audition I have the 606s and they are a great pairing with the Atom

1 Like

The 606s like all bowers and Wilkins speakers do need to be 40 to 50 cm from the back wall.

1 Like

Another member posted this video and it’s specific to the OP’s needs. Kat likes the Kanta 1 with the Atom, even says it has great bass.

Here’s the vid for her home system (Atom/Kanta 1)

2 Likes

Hi @Oxbow, I was at a similar point as you and went for the Atom + Focal Aria 906 as Claire has suggested. Coming from a similar starting point of NAD + PSB and Sonos stuff smattered about the place for convenience, I wanted a step up in terms of clarity, control (and dare I say PRAT) and connection to the music.

I demo’d the KEF LS50s, the B&W606 and the Linn Majik 109. For me the Focals were far superior. Bearing in mind your comment about bass, the Atom + Focal Aria 906 get a nice tight bass, positioning them is easy and moving them closer to the wall is an option and something you can play about with. I have mine on a cabinet and so I decoupled them using spikes and (amazingly) washing machine rubber feet. The bass became tighter and more prominent.

From the systems you are coming from, moving over to Naim, and to some extent Focal, I think requires an adjustment to your expectations on bass and in part getting used to the idea that you won’t be able to boost it with tone controls and it won’t “dominate” in ways that perhaps you may currently have in place.

4 Likes

That’s what I thought until I was persuaded to try a smallish active sub.

I now use two Rel TZeros with my Atom and Spendor SA1 (bought pre-loved from a nice chap who frequents this site).

When properly set up the subs ‘disappear’ and the overall effect is a much richer and detailed sound across the range.

In a smallish room I’d say it’s the only way to go.

3 Likes

Interesting and unexpected choice pairing the Kanta 1 with the Atom, would have thought the Nova the better match, but then again it is a mid size space so not that much amp headroom needed I guess. Lovely compact system overall, and great to see such enthusiastic review of the Atom too.

2 Likes