Hi - I’m after some advice and first-hand experience regarding bookshelf speakers that pair well with the Atom. Speaker placement will initially be on a desk, either side of a large computer monitor, then later on bookshelves once some renovation work is completed. Room size is 3.5m x 4.0m.
I recently demo’d the Atom at a local dealer with Spendor A1 and Proac Tablette 10 Signatures, both on stands. I preferred the Tablette’s with their excellent mids and trebles, but found the bass rather lightweight and thin. I expected the closed box design to limit the bass (a positive in terms of being able to position them close to the wall), but I didn’t expect it to be so thin. The Spendor’s had slightly better bass, but it was still light and I also felt they lost a bit on the mids and trebles from the Tablette’s. I then tried a Supernait 3 and Auralic streamer in place of the Atom and this delivered the missing bass as well as a wonderful overall presentation, but obviously at much higher cost and additional boxes.
So, some of the thoughts and questions swirling around in my head:
- the Tablette’s are (on paper) the easiest speakers to drive, yet they only seem to come into themselves when driven by a more powerful amp
- will the bass on the Tablette’s be better when they’re placed close to the rear wall, rather than on stands, or does this make little difference given the closed back design?
- is the Atom naturally quite bass shy or I am just partnering the wrong speakers?
- what other closed back speakers are worth trying with the Atom (PMC 25i - bit large, but should be ok to drive; Neat Iota - some people report it to be less good at low volumes; ATC SCM7 - look harder to drive; others such as Harbeth p3esr either look harder to drive or otherwise too big for desktop use?)
- am I right to dismiss rear ported speakers as the bass will be hard to control when placed close to the wall?
- I’m not looking for big bass, just a more balanced sound across the bass, mid and trebles. I’m not interested in a sub.
- a Nova or separates might help with their extra power and quality, but I would prefer to find a solution with the Atom
- why is this so difficult?
Any advice or ideas gratefully received. I’m ready to buy an Atom, but unless I can find some bookshelf speakers with a more balanced sound I’m going to have start looking at alternative options.