Record Store Day 2022 on Saturday, April 23

True. The one I wanted never made it to the shop however, although they were expecting some :frowning:

Walked into Square Records at about a quarter to 3. Shop was empty. Flipped through all the rsd 2022 racks, and the normal A-Z / new releases etc.
I didnā€™t buy anything.
Oh, and apparently someone starting queuing before they shut yesterday!??? Itā€™s not the first time either. Crazy ā€¦

Camping chairs, sleeping bags ā€¦

3 Likes

They are only reissuing lps that were the best sold at that time. No really a care to great quality music in general, but for mass market.

1 Like

Who is they?

The industry in general

1 Like

And someone in shorts - absolute madness.

To be honest the queues look shorter than previous years but Iā€™ve only ever done it at Rough Trade East or West before which possibly had the worst.

Iā€™m afraid itā€™s lost a lot of its appeal for me. The first I went to seemed a real event with loads of great instore performances but later ones concentrated far more on just pushing the products. The live performances and meeting other people, some youā€™d seen before at previous events, instores or gigs, was always the best things about the days. Getting some new (ridiculously expensive) vinyl was, for me, just a fringe benefit.

But to be fair my change in attitude says as much about me and my current lifestyle and priorities as the event. Plus I no longer have the energy to do the early start. I think the last one I went to was 2016 when I stayed overnight in a cheap hotel in Bethnal Green although I did go to a gig near Old Street the night before so it made some sense! I do have some great memories as much as anything else though from the times Iā€™ve gone.

But if it helps more record stores stay open then thatā€™s all good. I hope everyone who went had a great day and got some nice stuff and even nicer memories.

As an aside, I remember queuing outside Rough Trade East once for a limited edition release (not on RSD) with my flask of coffee which I shared with the queue and when the guy came to open up the shop he just looked at us all and said, ā€œItā€™s only a record!ā€ :slight_smile:

The industry, yes probably. But there are lots of small labels and artists who reissue albums for and with love

1 Like

My 2 from yesterday - already had the Dalis Car but it was a Ā£1 2nd hand buy and not in the best condition shall we say - Ultravox is a new / old release - may get to play them later or more likely tomorrow!

Saw the queue in Frome, wasnā€™t sure Iā€™d get what I went for. Pleased I stayed. Just listened to both on my old turntable, very enjoyable.

1 Like

Albert Ayler 5LP set is in the mail. :grinning:

Seems to be heck of a lot of board members living in and around Frome !

That ended well :joy:

Angus?

1 Like

Jimmy Clitheroe with a guitar.

1 Like

I resent and rarely queue for anything.

My gut feeling is that:

a) It raises awareness of vinyl and record stores
b) Most of those queuing couldnā€™t give a hoot about vinyl apart from exploiting RSD issue resale potential

Sorry.

1 Like

Yeah, but a) is worth it. The queuing and people buying only to resell sucks. However, in any case many nice releases on and around that day, often very limited, so is good to have eyes open

Yes, a) is good, b) is bad.

1 Like

You would think that they would do something like EasyJet priority board for those people that donā€™t do queues.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.