Recording old 78's with Audacity + LP12

If it was a well known dealer originally in Leicester, then it was probably my Rega!

My 78s were mainly old opera and orchestral classical - including the Furtwangler Beethoven 9th! Also some old WW2 vintage stuff - came in useful for one of our neighbours who actually owns a windup gramophone. He put it outside and entertained the neighbours with my 78s for the anniversary celebrations.

I was told that a new needle was needed for every play - and I understand that 78seven with a pristine needle each time, with its tracking weight of 100g or more on a typical gramophone the life of a 78 was measured in 10s not 100s or 1000s of plays, and so were in effect disposable.

Incidentally, referring back to a previous discussion about stylus size, I stumbled across this on another forum:
…people transcribing 78s for money use a range of tips between, say, 1.5 to 3 thou, so they can find which is the quietest for a given record. And for vertical cut records, an LP stylus is often the best idea - gets right down to the bottom of the groove.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.