Recording vinyl in hi-def for Uniti Nova

Bought Uniti Nova and Mu-so 2nd gen for multi-room. Main system vinyl through valves. Looking for highest fidelity way of recording tracks from my cherished vinyl onto memory stick. Computer is iMac.

Is there a Naim device that would do the A to D in high def from my own valved phono stage so that I can have the advantage of its quality and that of my turntable and cartridge?
If I must use a Sony PS-HX 500 will I be able to record onto Mac, what editing program should I get to sort individual songs and equalise volume, and does Roon do such or is there any reason why I should buy it to do the above?

You would need a phono stage with usb output, rega make one for example. You might also be able to hook up your existing phono stage to a line input one on your Mac if one exists. Audacity is free software that can record. Roon software can’t help you until you want to do playback from your local library of music files.
Your Sony turntable has usb output so you can just use that direct to your Mac with audacity.

Audacity works well for recording and editing/splitting into individual tracks. I tend to use either a Marantz PMD671 or Sony PCM-D100 for recording in 24bit 96kHz. Results recording vinyl LPs from my Rega RP10/Superline/552 setup are generally excellent - surprisingly so, in fact. I particularly like the Marantz as you can use it just like a tape deck - it has RCA phono ins and outs as well as digital coaxial ins and outs. You record onto memory cards, which you can then transfer over to a computer for editing splitting in Audacity.

I’ve also got an Apogee Duet that I haven’t tried out yet as a recorder - this works with a MacBook as a USB ADC/DAC. So far it’s just used as a USB DAC and headphone amp for use while I work.

I see that the Marrantz uses balanced mic inputs, my phonostage uses RCA, do they make adapters? Also, the instruction book on web indicates programmed for DOS and Windows, but doesn’t mention Apple to my knowledge. Will it work with Apple? What about the Apogee?

The Marantz has balanced Mic inputs on XLR, but also RCA Phono in/outs. For use with your Naim system the RCA in/outs would be best. You use it just like you would a cassette deck or MD recorder of old. You record as WAV files onto CF cards. You can play them back from the recorder as is, or load the WAV files onto your PC or MAC from the card (via a suitable card reader) then edit/cut into individual tracks in Audacity. Then using dbpoweramp you can sort out metadata and album artwork, convert to FLAC etc…

Alternatively, the Apogee acts as an upgraded sound card and you can use it to record directly onto a MAC via the recording program of your choice.

Here are some pics of the Marantz in my system;

Digital recorders8

Digital recorders2

Digital recorders1

5 Likes

I use this between my turntable and computer using Audacity to record.

1 Like

Ironically, your Nova digitises the analogue input, but I’m not aware of any way to capture that and record it. I think the purpose is to allow analogue sources to work in multiroom systems.

This device looks to be exactly what I need, unfortunately this device has been discontinued (according to the Marrantz web site). I think I must now research the Apoge device.

Hoping to use my own high end valve phono equalisation device, otherwise I would just buy one of those low expense turntables that record in digital and transfer my Nagaoka cartridge to it for the recording task. Thanks anyway.

Sorry, Marrantz no longer making this product.

It’s discontinued but there are NOS units around - they were often bought in quantity for pro applications - and also a number good secondhand examples. Not expensive either. Otherwise the Sony PCM-D100 is a superb alternative (albeit using 3.5mm jack in/outs) and available to buy new.

1 Like

I use a Tascam DA-3000 connected to the tape loops of my preamp in the same way Richard describes. Captured onto a CF card. It is excellent if that helps.

Stereo out to interconnect that is rca or 3.5mm jack at nova side and 3.5mm headphone jack to macbook with vinyl studio running, works well.

Scott

The MacBook’s internal sound card is fine and will work for non-critical recordings, but if you want to up the ante considerably then try using something like the Apogee Duet with the MacBook or a dedicated recorder.

I have an old Firewire Apogee Duet I bought to digitise vinyl many years ago.

Unfortunately I found doing so a complete chore, though useful for albums you can’t buy on CD/download or some cassettes I bought at small band gigs ages ago or when at school which would not be available.

I’ve often thought of trying this again sometime but think I’d just record individual LP sides and name them Artist - Album - Side A or B etc.

I wouldn’t have the patience to edit tracks and do the metadata properly.

I think a lot of it comes down to which recording software you use and how familiar you get in using it.

Personally, I find Audacity very easy to use and with some practice it becomes second nature in use, which speeds things along considerably.

2 Likes

I suspect at the time I was also looking at software to remove pops/clicks from the recorded audio, but in reality might prefer the recording ‘warts and all’ apart from perhaps a few annoying clicks I could manually edit without the whole recording being processed.

Yes, I never bother with any post-processing such as de-clicking; I find it always detracts from the original recording. I just cut and label then run all the files through dbpoweramp to ensure the metadata and artwork is all properly associated.

1 Like

That software is free on line and looks perfect, the problem is finding a recording device that will take the high end output from my phono stage at 175 mV, convert to hi resolution lossless digital (hopefully 24 bit/ 98 kHz or better), onto USB stick with a program that will interface with the above software on Apple Catalina. The Marrantz unit, being discontinued some years ago, is proving difficult to find as NOS. Tascam has a stereo recorder that does most of this, but doesn’t record better than 16bit or faster than 47.5 kHz, so still looking.