Records with wide soundstage

Pretty much any track from this has fabulous wide soundstage

5 Likes

“Arriving Somewhere but Not Here by Porcupine Tree has some very wide effects that go right to the edge of my room - if you like good rock”

OMG, what a great song. I would NEVER have listened to this in a million years if not for this forum and STREAMING!! Thanks so Much

5 Likes

I saw a list of tracks to show off various qualities and there was Madonna’s “Vogue” with it’s tricksy panning effects. Now I have to say I’m not a fan of Madge with the exception of this track so I thought I’d stream it from Tidal. It has possibly the widest soundstage I’ve ever heard. Way past the speakers. Obviously a ton of production but never the less, my speakers just disappeared when I turned up the wick. Amazing.

5 Likes

Just listening to Sevdalizas new album and thought it to be very well produced with a great sound stage in depth and width.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great suggestion. I found also The Power of Good-Bye a pleasant song to listen to. Obviously not as wide as Vogue, but different than her rest of the songs.

2 Likes

Malia/ Boris Blank Convergence is very good for this, particularly tracks 1/10/11 :+1:t3: ATB Peter

2 Likes

You want a wide fully dynamic soundstage,
look no further than here…

Stream while you dream…

5 Likes

It’s obvious that the tracks were “constructed” on the mixing desk yet the mixing engineer and producer managed to get this super spread of sound out of the speakers. Interesting.

3 Likes

Damn, now I have it spinning in my head too.

There’s a funny wash up edition but I dare not say anymore and risk getting deleted. :wink:

6 Likes

Celine dion, a new day has come is a cracking wide soundstage track

Its apparently quite easy to ‘create’ a wide soundstage. Just ‘pot’ things extreme left & extreme right. Then put something in the middle. Bingo.

Rotary Connection ( featuring Minnie Riperton ). I am the black gold of the sun.

1 Like

One of my issues with Naim is the very narrow soundstage.

Hi @Matthegerman, I saw your note and tried Sevdaliza since I never heart from here. Thank you so much for recommending; amazing artist and a very nice album !

Cheers
Iver

1 Like

She was very high on Theneedledrops 50-best-albums list of 2020. Lots of music to discover on his YouTube channel.
Cheers,

Mat

1 Like

I’m at a loss to understand precisely what ‘narrowing’ effect Naim amplification or sources could have on perceived width of ‘soundstage’? Surely this is all about how an album was recorded in the first place, and then speaker placement and room acoustics? What am I missing?

2 Likes

I think the first thing to blame is the tweeter and on/off axis of speakers and/or the set up - distance from wall of the speakers and the listening position in the room. I would definitely play with the setup a bit.

Listen to Vogue by Madonna and Perfect Sense Pt. II by Roger Waters. At 57 seconds when saying “Hi Everybody…” it definitely feels next to you, on the left like sitting on the couch in front of you. And Madonna song starts with a massive pulling out of the speakers left and then right.

I’m so lucky, as these speakers of mine image amazingly even at the shi**est set up I have to use them at. Try to find a balance between standing waves and good imaging.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Are we talking about a a soundstage that has been mastered that way ie paning from left to right or the way in which an amp/speakers portrays music.

I heard a mono valve amp and one big Tannoy produce a huge soundstage from a mono recording of Kind of Blue that sounded very narrow on my 282/300 Dynaudio Contour speakers.

Unfortunately I have never listened to your set up. Though I just pointed out about playing with set up costs nothing to fix the simplest issues, if you think there is any issue with soundstage in your system. Happy listening.

I’ve played around with lot’s of different Naim amps and more than a few speakers, moving the whole set up around three different rooms in my house.
The speakers themselves within these three rooms have been against the wall and up to a meter into the room, firing down and across, toed in and out and what I have found in my house and with my different Naim based systems is that the music is always pushed front and forward.
My last Naim system an 82/SC/250 which was in my living room made my speakers completely disappear from left and right and made the music come from a spot dead centre between them. Of course if the mix panned left and right or one instrument was mixed solely on one side then it was very apparent.
The system I now own which is a modern Quad system with the the same speakers and the same room does not do this instead it spreads the music out more it doesn’t have that in your face forward excitement of a Naim system but it can be a more pleasant listen sometimes and can go very low and very, very loud without losing clarity.
Again just my experience in my home and not at all a negative against the Naim brand or anybody else’s system. Naim have made some exceptional amplifiers.