Records with wide soundstage

Thanks for this. I’d deleted this from my playlist and couldn’t remember her name. Track 1 “Celestial Echo” is a great test track.

1 Like

I always found that the Tubular bells had a great soundstage . The way the instruments drifted across the room in the final bit along with John Cleese shouting at you. Plus the depth of the instrument front to bsck

Surely (2003 version notwithstanding) Vivian Stanshall

2 Likes

Must have been TB 2 or 3 then with John cleese

1 Like

Manchild, by Eels. The two voices are completely separate. E’s voice is well beyond the left speaker and the girl’s reply is only in the right speaker. Music happens between the two, but as a channel tester it works for me. It’s a great track.

1 Like

I’ve been always wondered how my speakers would sound with a different integrated amp. I never thought the difference can be that huge. It’s good for home theater if being forward and also I’m enjoying it in music too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

To me in Manchild by Eels, the left vocals happening in front of the left speaker, forward.

Yes it can be quite different I’ve used these Dynaudio speakers with a few different amps but the most marked difference was with Naim which placed the music right in front of you, the speakers just disappeared and the singer, musicians where in the room with you but the soundstage was quite narrow. To my mind that is Naim’s signature, front ,forward and in your face which produces real excitement and a sound that as we all know can be quite addictive.

I always use a set up test record to fit a new cartridge or arm and the left and right channels where always distinctly there and in phase correctly so I’m sure it wasn’t a set up issue. Of course speaker placement, the room and of course the speakers themselves play a part but in my experience the amp too can change the way a speaker reproduces music.

Good find, thanks.

This has great width, height and all other soundstage things going on.

The more I hear the more I like.
Thanks

1 Like

I have listened to a demo on a very expensive system (with 30K Dali speakers) and they used the live version of Layla from Eric Clapton’s unplugged album. At that demo I could hear some people in the band walking and talking on stage during the instrumental part of the song (from 2:50), displaying an impressive three dimensional sound stage. However I have never been able to hear it again. I wonder if you hear what I mean on your sets. Open Qobuz

On most of the records suggested on the thread, the soundstage and the feeling of depth are tailored during mastering.

A recording that actually captured the recording venue, its width and depth, is hard to find.

The following one is quite impressive. The soundstage is nearly 3 dimensional. It gives the impression that some instruments of the orchestra are located behind the front wall. Really nice!

Capture

2 Likes

Hi Thomas, a beautiful three dimensional soundstage indeed. The recording in general is a pleasure to listen to. The sound never get harsh even when the volume gets loud. It also makes the Dutchman in me little proud when I hear this. Another radio studio with a beautiful sound is the one of RSI in Lugano. For me the piano sound in this recording is also nearly 3D. https://open.qobuz.com/track/42637674

2 Likes

Thanks Thomas. Ironically I found this using Roon 1.8 and the Focus feature. I would have had a hard time finding this previous.

1 Like

Crikey, forgot about Slowdive … very good Uni gig in 1991, them and Ride with the epic sounding ‘Leave them all behind’ 12 inch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.