Recycling

I have had Naim equipment for over 40yr now and it has been a great journey of upgrading for bigger and better sounding music.
For the 1st time in my experience I have a piece of Naim equipment that is probably worthless as an upgrade option and I am left wondering how to dispose of something that must have some parts of value or materials that should be recycled rather than simply disposed of.
Does anyone have any experience of such things or can suggest possible avenues to consider.
My CDX2 seems to be broken beyond repair and recycling case or internals seems my only option.
2nd l’y what are people changing to in the CD world if the don’t want streaming / ripping and just want to play there large CD collections ?

Even if Naim can no longer replace the mech (Which is what I assume the problem to be here) then there will be “kitchen table” techs who will be willing to have a go at a repair with scavenged parts, so your CDX2 will have a value , and you may be surprised at just how much it’s still worth.

FWIW, CDS and CDI players have long been unrepairable if the mech fails, but secondhand prices, even for failed mech players are surprisingly strong, as is the demand. These players used mechs that were exceptionally rare and almost impossible to salvage from lesser players, which makes it the more remarkable…

Having said all that, if you can’t be bothered to sell it on somewhere like eBay or the like then take it to your Naim dealer who I’m sure will be able to dispose of it properly for you.

2 Likes

Someone may even gut it and put in a Raspberry Pi and power supply to turn it into a streamer

Clearly A.N.Other CD player… but why not streaming? When my CDP was on the blink, a decade ago now, I started researching a suitable replacement, and came to realise that streaming was the future. I looked into it a bit more and ended up buying a streamer instead (ND5XS) and a cheap NAS (network attached storage unit), and it sounded virtually the same as my old CDP (Shearne Audio Phase 7). Ripping CDs on my computer took very little input time or effort, and I did it while doing other things, though if I wanted to play something not yet ripped it did mean a delay of maybe 5 minutes. Streaming from my own store of music files brought bonuses like continuous play with albums longer than 70-odd minutes, ease of play, and reduction in storage space (but there is nothing to stop you retaining CDs and picking out the album and sleeve notes to look at when deciding what to play or when playing if desired). It also opened the door to buying music by downloading, and higher resolutions, and potentially online streaming with nearly unlimited selection though as that is by subscription it is not for me.

I’m in the same situation. My CDX2.2 is not long for this world. I just plan on getting another player. Currently looking at options I can buy locally.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.