Rega Aria MK3 to NAP102 Connection

Pre ROHS Naim used Crystal 505 solder

IMO, its better to get a good solder joint, than to worry about which solder to useā€¦ :thinking:

You do not want to mix lead free solder with the leaded variety.

ROHS

From 2006 onwards.

And Lead Free Solder brings the phenomena of Tin Whiskers with it.

Tin Whiskers

Thanks. Iā€™ll get the leaded Crystal 505 and try it and then send it to Chris West for a rebuild if he can do it. Thank you all. Iā€™ll let you know what happens.

Update & Question: I took the boards out of the equation and got a Rega Fono MC MK4 phono stage - prior noise issue resolved. Problem is now Iā€™m hearing a low background noise/static when on the tt - even at zero volue. Is this normal? I used an RCA to 5 din to connect to the 102 on th AV input. (only had 5 pin) Would using a 4 pin connector and input reduce the noise? How might I troubleshoot where the noise is coming from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorryā€¦? Noise resolved - now new noiseā€¦?

Maybe you should take your 102 to a good Naim dealer and/or get it serviced (which you said previously you would do).

We can only guess at the source of your noiseā€¦ :thinking:

My Crystal Ball is broken as been for many yearsā€¦ :expressionless:

Pre-amp inputs are on 5 pin DINs. You canā€™t use a DIN4, and even if you could, Iā€™m not sure how that might in any way solve your issue here.

Is it a hum you are hearing? Is it there whether the TT is connected or not?

You might try earthing the Aria. There are some threads here on how to do this, but probably easiest is to run a piece of wire from bare metal part of Aria chassis to the NAC102ā€™s earthing post.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.