Rega Fono a bottleneck?

Gyro with dynavector 20x2L into my 282.
Cant help think the rega is holding things back.
Some decent s/h stagelines about at relatively risk free prices.
Or perhaps i should be giving it some welly with say the Dynavector P75 or similar.
Dont really want to go over 1k.

1 Like

When I sold my five box 200/202 amplification the Naim phono stage went with them and as I was switching to a Rega Aethos , I installed a Rega Fono for my Clearaudio Emotion .

In short order, the Rega went and replaced by a Project, that lasted a bit longer .

Ended up with Graham Slee, they have phono stages at all price levels, what I don’t think they don’t do is a combo MC/MM

I think you are right, a Fono isn’t ideal with a Gyro

3 Likes

Some prefer the Dynavector phono with Dynavector cart vs Rega Aria.

2 Likes

Either would be good but from experience with a DV 20X2L, different to each other. The Stageline meatier, the P75 airy, perhaps more detailed. Only you can decide which you prefer.

3 Likes

Same here, I recently went from rega fono to Graham Slee Reflex and finally to Accession/Enigma. Very happy at this stage, not actively looking to upgrade.

2 Likes

The Stageline without an outboard ps is not terrible. My experience too. With an Hicap, even olive, it’s a good phono.

It is indeed. It’s only when you have to step back to a Stageline after using a Superline that you can hear why you pay a lot more for the latter. But still very enjoyable.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. The supply chain issues do present a challenge in finding things to demo…or buy.
I have collected an Aria today on loan.
As would be hoped at the price, it is a significant step up from the fono.
There is no area where things do not sound better. Considerably.

2 Likes

My memory of my Stageline powered by the Aux on my 282 was of a very coherent engaging sound with a Dyn XX2.

1 Like

If I could find one to try…
Promised myself no more blind purchases.
Have to say I am really very impressed with the Aria. So very controlled yet powerful if that makes sense. Seperation of instruments and sound staging is excellent. Very organised and uncluttered.

1 Like

It’s a super phono stage.
Dynavector P75 phono stages do come up for sale on Hifi sale websites and on well known auction sites. For about £250-300 used, they are a bargain and a perfect match for your cartridge.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Picked up a used P75 today.
Sounds very nice. Good shout … thank you
As much as I initially enjoyed the Aria, I found it tiring and a bit too in your face.
The Dynavector synergy with the cartridge is as good as everyone has suggested.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.