Rega P10 arm screws for cart

See my last picture, with the Rega protractor. I don’t see how I can do better honestly.

I think it can become obsessive, these tiny precision. Because, I very hardly can hear a difference in sound vs the previous set up.
But I am glad to have corrected, maybe at 98%, the previous set up.

1 Like

…correct…getting the desired alignment requires a little obsessiveness, but, on the other hand, you now how to do it and you are very close.
Interestingly, Rega are not obsessive about arm height.

So explain what have I to correct still? With the protractor it’s quite perfectly aligned. I don’t see anything else to do.

It’s not perfectly aligned yet…near though.
It looks as if the cartridge needs to be moved forward just a little, so that, similtaneously:
The stylus is in the correct position on the protractor;
The cartrigde is symmetrical in the headshell along its long axis;
The edge of the headshell’s outer side is parallel to the lines.
This will result in a perfect implementation of the alignment designed into the TT/arm.
It is best not to think about this more deeply otherwise we will get into the geometry of why other named alignments cannot be fully achieved across the arc that the stylus travels.
You are close now…just 1 or maybe 2 mm?

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

That
Looks
Good
…congratulations, you are now a member of the old-school club.
…please let us know how it sounds!

2 Likes

I think the Spiral Groove Centroid tonearm, designed by Allen Perkins, former importer of Lyra cartridges to the US, has an alignment hole in its headshell.
@Suedkiez : perhaps you’d like to know.

1 Like

What a nightmare ! With my poor eyes, my difficult position….the fear to damage the cantaliver….
But the enjoyment to have succeeded :laughing::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

3 Likes

So pleased… I hope the music is good.
J

A bit crispier maybe, perhaps a little more depth. Still overall very very good.

1 Like

Enjoy…just got to get it run in now!

2 Likes

It has maybe 30 hours, so will still open gradually, but most of the run in is done I think.

It doesn’t hurt to try different settings, I have tried a few since getting my new turntable

Just a question. If you look at that picture, there’s little space between the front of the cartridge and the headshell. Maybe it’s normal.

IIRC the body of the Lyra has a raised land area where it mates to the headshell on the tonearm, so a small gap at the front would probably be quite normal.

OK, I’ve found an image online which shows the raised land area on the cartridge;

1 Like

Very thanks, so good to know that I have nothing more to do. Ouf! As we say here.

FR…you are now a cartridge alignment engineer…see how simple it can be, just a matter of confidence. Of course, unipivots are a different matter!

2 Likes