Rega p3 or p6 choice

I am brand new to this forum (any forum actually) and intend to add a turntable to my system. I have read lots of reviews and have narrowed my choice down to the Rega p3 50th anniversary edition or the Rega p6 (with Exact cartridge). I have read the threads here about those turntables but note the one most on point was from a user with an Atom. I have an SN3.
I appreciate that the 50th anniversary edition of the p3 has narrowed the gap with the p6 but would ask for your views on:
Whether the gap remains large; and
Whether the 50th anniversary p3 would be a good match for the rest of my system; or
Whether the rest of my system demands a better turntable like the p6
I would be grateful for all your views.
Thank you

1 Like

Hi Stu and welcome.
My first question is a somewhat obvious one, do you have a Naim dealer nearby that also is a Rega dealer.
It is a common statement here, but the only way to be sure is to test both and see/hear what works for you (in your own listening space if possible).
Both TT’s get plenty of praise and the P3/50 has had a fair amount of that.
Good luck with your demoing😉

1 Like

are you using the phono stage in the SN3 or going external?

1 Like

Internal. I understand it’s a good MM stage.

4 Likes

I do and I have booked a demo of both for Friday. I just wanted to pick your brains before I went

1 Like

How large a collection of records do you have?
If very few, I would start with the cheaper deck. The records will cost more than the turntable, particularly if buying new.

2 Likes

I have none at all at the moment. I last bought records in the 80s and they were stored at my parents house. I say were because they gave them all away without consulting me!!! You make a very good point about the price of vinyl. It is likely to take me years to acquire a decent collection and the £500 saved would help me start.

I’ve owned both and P6 is superior without a doubt.

2 Likes

+1 for the P6 & Exact option, (or better), to partner with a SN3.

Good luck with your journey

Kind regards
R

2 Likes

I’m in the same space - want to replace my Pro-Ject with a Rega (I don’t like the floating weight thing with the fishing line on the PJ). I’m pretty sure I’ll go P3/P350/P6. Will be waiting on the report, so please let us know how the listening session goes!!

BTW, I think there’s something cool about a Nait 50 and P3 50…but that’s another conversation :grinning:

1 Like

@Maury_Finkle

Agreed :+1:

As you have no records, I’d think long and hard before getting a turntable. I did what you are thinking of, starting with a Planar 1, moving to a 6, then 8 and finally 10. Acquiring the records cost an arm and a leg, but it kept me occupied during lockdowns. If you buy second hand you need a cleaning machine. Some of the records I bought I had already, but was buying them because they were on vinyl. Doubtless you are less silly than me. If you want a TT that sounds as good as your excellent ND5XS2, I’d be looking at the 6 and probably the 8.

5 Likes

Go for an Linn LP12,much better and suits a Naim system.

Here we go perpetuating the myth that an LP12 is much better. What level of LP12? Rega’s like many others work superbly with Naim.

7 Likes

It’s not an myth to me,Rega can’t do bass properly,I rather take an AR or Dual with suspension.

What is your motivation for getting a turntable? You’ve obviously owned one before, and I’m certainly not going to tell you it’s wrong to want another one……but do the maths! An RP6/Exact, a few accessories to get it set up properly, and a modest collection of a few hundred LPs at a modest £10 to £20 each would very easily cost enough to fund an upgrade of your ND5 to an NDX2, probably with enough left over to get an XPS for it or have a nice holiday, or even both.

If you read this and think, yeah, but I just really want a turntable, go for it. I haven’t heard the RP3 50th Anniversary, but if it was between the regular RP3 and the RP6 I’d say your current system really deserves an RP6.

Okay. @Stu63 use your own ears.

4 Likes

That’s always the best way :+1:

1 Like

Thank you all. I’ll let you know how the demo goes.

2 Likes