Rega P8 set up or 282 + 2nd HICAP?

I believe Source First is valid - AND - is an argument (perhaps…) for going for just ONE source.
Not splitting between two… say CD & LP, or CD & Streaming - ??

Unless you have Loads-A-Money… £$£$£$…

1 Like

Been there, did that although it was with an RP8 so I’d go 282. But life is far too short not to scratch itches so if you really fancy the turntable, go for it and enjoy

2 Likes

I have been using the predecessor of the P8, the RP8 for many years, initially with a Quad 34 and 306 combination followed by the NAC202, NAP 200DR, NAPSC and HICAP DR and can definitely say that the Naim setup with the NAC202 sounds great and is definitely up to the task using the P8 as the source.
With regard to the NAC 282 I am sure it is better than the NAC202 in the same way as a P10 is going to better than the P8. It really depends on your priorities and how much you want to spend. I would like to try the NAC 282 but it is justifying the extra expense.

1 Like

A 282 benefits everything going into it… :slightly_smiling_face:

Its a Win-Win…

3 Likes

That’s kind of where I’m going! :thinking:

Its the way I went… to an 82.

Best - Ever - Move.

Agree.
go for P8 first then look at 282.
My p3 is great - but my pre / power speaker upgrades have made my turntable upgrade my next priority.
Of course u have to be realistic about how often u play vinyl.
I like it better than steaming but convenience + no dedicated listening room restrict my options.
If u have dedicated room then source first is a good rule

I would go 282… because… Everything get a lot better. Trust me… :astonished:

Pause or change the Vinyl option. IMO.

1 Like

I think this is where I am now…. 282 first, then p8 when I’ve saved up again…

As a separate point been thinking about the vinyl I might buy. Rolling stone top 500 albums looks a good place to start. Obviously not all of them! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What kind of music do you like?

Mainly rock… with a smooth jazz perversion. To be honest I can listen to anything that’s high quality. Tried to get into classical but just doesn’t stir me. Can’t get hip hop or rap, and for some unfathomable reason, I cannot abide Dylan! :man_shrugging:

I think you and me might get along…

Here’s a recommendation for your first few vinyl buys.
I’m just listening to Elbow, The Take Off and Landing of Everything.
Maybe you know it already.

Got this on CD, vinyl and digital download. But my point is playing the record gets me every time. It’s very well produced. So, thoroughly recommend this one on vinyl :+1:

[ Edit : Apologies for topic drift. Couldn’t resist, as no matter the system direction taken, it’s all about the enjoyment of music :wink: ]

2 Likes

Good recommendation.

2 Likes

Thank you! Making a note… :sunglasses:

1 Like

How could you possibly defer the purchase of a Planar 8? You can’t get reflections of yourself in a download!!

4 Likes

A reflection from your mobile phone screen?

Great pic by the way

Ha ha ha!!! Trust me it’s definitely in the plan…. With something like that I’d like to have the system for it to fit into. I think I’ll feel even better knowing I’ve got the system that will really show it off. It feels like the right decision in head, heart and gut. All subject to listening sessions of course. But love your reply. :sunglasses:

I’ve said it before so won’t say it again, you already have a great system and it would fit right in. Oops!

Seriously though, mine works very well with the Supernait 3. I have thousands of downloads, but only two feet of records. Sometimes not having loads makes it easier to choose.

3 Likes

Absolutely appreciated. As ever, with something that is at the final reckoning, an art rather than a science (although science based) there is that personal choice, and sense or feeling of what is right for us. I mean, some people like Bob Dylan or Kiss for god’s sake! :joy:

2 Likes

I had a 202/200, I upgraded to a 282/200 and there was a significant improvement (it was a few years ago so I can’t remember the details but can remember that I was happy with the improvement!). Speakers were SBLs.

I added a HiCapDR and this also improved the situation; but it was diminishing returns- while it was an improvement I can remember being a little disappointed the improvement wasn’t greater. I then added a second HiCapDR and frankly I didn’t feel it was worth the cost.

Of course the sources I had at the time were maybe not good enough to benefit from the HiCaps (CD5 and a Rega RP6/2M Black).

So… I wouldn’t question the 202-282 upgrade but maybe a record deck and some vinyl would give you more enjoyment than additional HiCaps?

2 Likes