Rega RP10 loud pop when switching the speed off

Might be region related? My dealer told me (had it on my P8) to turn the power supply around (EU) or to change outlet. Never got solved. What happens is a spike is created when you turn it on or off and for some this gets through to the speakers. This could be prevented adding a cap to the construction as others do. I sold my P8 and installed Vertere DG1. Dead silent. Sold that and got a VPI. Dead silent.

Same happens intermittently with the power supply for my P8. Not a big thing, and I just turn the volume down if Iā€™ve been playing loud.

RP8 and RP10 loud pop. P10 absolute silence. Everything else exactly the same.

Itā€™s something to do with the RPs.

1 Like

Iā€™m in Germany. Had a P8 as well an no issue there either

Never said this is a 100% issue. It is causing issues for some where other turntables do not have same issue. Itā€™s a corner case Rega has not taken care of.

Just adding the info. If only those with the issue post, it looks like everyone has it - wouldnā€™t that be the case if itā€™s a design error?

My P8 pops from time to time. When it happens, itā€™s transferred through the mains to the amp. My guess is itā€™s ā€œcausedā€ by the wall wart. :man_shrugging:

I have this issue with my RP8. Both with Naim and my old Quad setup. I always press the mute button when turning the Rega off. Never an issue when switching on though.

I had the Guru QM10 Mk 1 and they blew after overloading so I can understand you worrying but does it overload with volume turned down?

My mid 80s P3 pops on on and off. I just always have the amp switched off before turning the record deck on or off. Would be a faff in a multi amp system. But if only have an integrated amp, then very simple and no need to think about it once itā€™s become a habit

Hi all,
I was away yesterday, so I could not reply to all your comments.
Iā€™ll try to answer some of them.
I checked the continuity between central spindle and earth, and yes, there is continuity.
As I said, it is strange how I got pop (not as loud) even when I disconnected interconnects.
I also disconnected turntable from PSU and there was no pop.
Just thinking out loud, is there something in turntable causing the pop? What other electronical components are there apart from motor? And there is 24 V in the turntable.
Anyways, I talked to a Rega dealer who never saw such case. Low volume pop yes, but that loud no.
Iā€™ll take my TT, Stageline and PS to the dealer and try it in the ā€œcleanā€ environment.
Iā€™ll report the results here.
thanks again

My RP8/Apheta/Aria/272 setup is completely pop free.
The RP8 currenty Neo PSU but originally used the standard one and I donā€™t remember any pops with that either. I leave the wall wart (actually just a transformer on the Neo PSU) powered on at all times. I think the RP10 is unique to that model.
Mike

In my experience, it depends upon what phono stage you use with your Rega deck. Some pop, some donā€™t. Ironically, the one Rega phono stage Iā€™ve used has the loudest pop. I suspect this has to do with Regaā€™s unusual grounding scheme for their arms.

My 6 week old P6 pops when changing speed or switching off at the Neo. Doubt it has anything to do with the deck, just the Neo and itā€™s SMPS.
Not yet worked out if the noise generated in the Neo is going forward into the 72, or backwards into the mains and then into the 72/hc/140 that way.
My answer is to turn the volume pot down. Not the end if the world, but it is annoying and suggests cost cutting in the Neo design.

My RP10 used to pop when powering off or changing speeds although the power cycle pop was much more aggressive - I ran mine with SL/SC.
I also assumed it was something to do with the grounding - the Regas donā€™t have a ground cable like many other TTs do. My WTL which is grounded doesnā€™t make a sound when powering downā€¦

1 Like

My RP10 also pops when powering off or changing speeds although the power cycle pop is much louder - I run mine with SL/HC DR into 552 DR.
I have installed a separate grounding cable from RP10 to SL.

My rp6 pops sometimes, but Iā€™ve noticed when I turn it off. If I hold the button a few seconds before I release it. Then it doesnā€™t for some reason.
So Iā€™ve just gotten in the habit of holding the button just a little longer before I release it.

Hi all,
let me just update you on my troubles with RP10 popping.
I went to a Rega/Naim dealer and brought my RP10 to be tested in other environment.
Very shortly, the results are:
RP10/Rega Aria/Uniti Star: no pops or buzzā€¦
RP10/my Stageline/Tcap/Uniti Star: no pops but a strong buzzā€¦
RP10/Rega Aria or Stageline/Supernait: silent pop and some buzzā€¦
Well the good news is, RP10 is not faulty, the bad news is that we could not pinpoint what is causing this and it is a matter of trial and error only.
Came back home, I unplugged absolutely everything and re-connected the barest combination: RP10/Stageline/Uniti and still got a loud pop as I used to.
I gave up any other testing at that stage.
Obviously, there is something in this combination causing these loud pops and probably the only solution is to change the phono stage and amp.
So, you were all right in reporting different levels of popping, because all combinations are unique.
I still donā€™t know why it should happen, but it isā€¦

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.