Rega tonearms

Mine is still on song after doing it, it’s a revelation isn’t it such a difference in sound from the same components but set a different way, who had thought ay

Yes agree, i have also just been playing with my anti skate, might just be me, but it seems to make a difference now, as before i didn’t really think it did much

I’ve adjusted my antiskate with a test record, my OCD took over though Rega themselves are saying that precise setting is not necessary. With P10, Apheta 3 and 1.89 on the gauge, it is quite precisely at the 2g mark

Well, it could be “worse” in the sense that the counterweight must be pushed back farther, away from the pivot point; this creates more inertia, bad for playing warped records. Many years ago some forum members preferred using the heavy counterweight on the ARO when possible, for this reason.

Yes but I don’t have warped records. It’s approx 7 mm farther back as the P10 counterweight is pretty heavy (the displacement is way less than in the RB300 pics in the linked blog)

Also my physics is rusty but a heavier counterweight closer to the axis and a lighter counterweight farther from the axis may well end up with very similar inertia

You may be right about the inertia math, not my strong suit. But I have seen over the years many “experts” recommending that the counterweight be as close to the pivot as possible.

It’s sad and part of the fascination at the same time that there is an expert for every more or less well-founded opinion in hifi :slight_smile:

But anyway, it’s an interesting consideration, so thanks. When I regain my interest in tinkering I’ll try both ways. For now, it is sounding brilliant either way

The anti skate maybe should not need to be set different than before.
Select a couple of tracks ( Bass - Female vocal ) that are insightful and swap back using
the Current anti skate setting. NOTE anti skating can be weird in it’s effect on T/W always
set T/W with it at zero so zero it Now and see what T/W you have and use That Figure when
you reset. For this type of testing the time of day, mains quality, room set up all need to be Forensicly duplicated else you are wasting your time and your results will not be valid.
And scales are Mandatory!

Probably a good idea to zero the antiskate before using the balance, good for the cantilever and my electronic balance does’t give the same reading with and without bias on the arm.

The physics look right to me! but the calculation of exact distances and weights is really well! and this is necessary in case the mass at front of the arm may be neutral to the equation or maybe not. But when arm makers supply different counterweights the object is Always to get closer to the Pivot so i think we should focus here. In your case a lighter C/W further back
wont advance things but a fractionally heavier weight will be closer to the Pivot and simply side step the question of physics.

The P10 already has a tungsten counterweight, it will be difficult to get material from a neutron star instead! :slight_smile:

An when Rega added a tungsten option for some arms, IIRC they just mentioned that this way it has a larger range to accommodate more cartridges. But yes, I am aware that some people claim improved tracking when replacing the P8 c/w with the P10’s

I’ve read somewhere that the tungsten counterweight can improve performance and have one that I bought on eBay for £40 on my P8. The standard weight is still in the box so I don’t know if it’s true. It looks nicer though.

Yes i was only meaning hypothetically if a few grams larger weight existed.
Being Mechanical rather than Electrical this is the only area in HiFi that
Science actually rules unlike cables etc.

1 Like

Does anybody have any strong views on Rega anti skate settings?

When my dealer set up my Rb330 on the gyro se, he set the cartridge for 1.8g with a balance, but deliberately left the anti skate at zero.

I have always left it that way, not least as it sounds good. I tried it set between 1 and 2, but heard no difference, so reset it to zero.

But have wondered if that is a real nono?

That’s just wrong.

Rega says that OCD-precise setting is not necessary and that you should just set it to the same value as the tracking force. If your dealer does not want to be overly precise, which should be fine, he should just invest one second and do what Rega says.
(Edit: @Thegreatroberto, I think that for transport it is recommended to set it back to 0 (and remove the counter weight), maybe that’s why the dealer set it to 0?)

Alternatively, use a test record. I did, and as written a bit further up, I ended up with more or less the same as what Rega recommends, my tracking weight is 1.9 and and the antiskate is at the “2” mark.

Edit: Or do what Richard wrote below, visually. It will also depend on the record (which is most likely why Rega says that total precision is not necessary - the force that is countered by the antiskate depends on the groove walls, so one setting is never precisely right for every record, anyway)

1 Like

If you can’t hear a difference easily then take a look at the cantilever. If it’s obviously being pushed hard over one way or other then the bias needs tweaking.

Sort of what I was thinking. I was happy to go with my dealer 3 years ago, but will invest a bit of time setting the anti skate.

Moment of Inertia is more relevant to dynamics of rotating systems than static balancing where m1 x r1 = m2 x r2.

The formula for moment of inertia is the “sum of the product of mass” of each particle with the “square of its distance from the axis of the rotation”. The formula of Moment of Inertia is expressed as I = Σ miri2.

However, for sound reproduction Moment of Inertia is relevant because the stylus is moving a cantilever to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. If the tone arm moves other than to track, an additional vibrating system comes into play with its own resonances. Design of the tonearm is a compromise between the cartridge cantilever and the tonearm.

Phil

1 Like

:pray: Thank you

1 Like

Well i dont know if its all in my head, or i have just got it set up better, BUT, i have to say i, think its sounding even better than it did ???
I have got the rega scales coming, as only had a cheap old one from years back, it seems to work fine, as the 5.00 supplied weight still reads 5.00 most of the time, well sometimes 4.97, or 5.02 lol. Anyway decided to treat myself to the rega one, so i can have a proper go at the weekend.
But spinning a few records tonight and the enjoyment factor is very high, be a good battle for the rossini i feel, as normally the rossini has had the edge over my P10, maybe i haven’t been getting the best from it, since i have had it ? I don’t really know, as its so easy to be drawn in, butright now i dont really care, time to just enjoy the music.

Went a bit mad and also ordered myself a record cleaning machine as well

1 Like