Rega tonearms

Money well spent. Enjoy!

Hope so, have a few records that are a bit noisy, plus some older stuff, that i dont want to play as in fear of damaging my apheta3
So got a pro ject on its way, went for the bigger version with the extra arm kit, so a mass cleaning session is on its way, along with a proper set up of the P10, as it looks like i have a lot to learn with this plug and play deck

While I endorse cleaning, some records are simply noisy. And despite or because of the vinyl “resurgence”, new pressings are often poor if they are not explicitly “audiophile”. 180g just makes them feel good. For example, just bought a mint copy of Gravenhurst’s Fires in Distant Buildings, Warp Records, and it was not cheap because out of print. Noisy as hell

1 Like

I get what you are saying, for me i have a few of my favourite albums, that just have more pops etc than they did, probably could clean them up with a cloth and spray, but decided what the hell, go for a machine, clean up all my old records, hopefully i can then enjoy them once again, as right now as i said i wont even attempt to play them in fear of damaging my stylist, maybe being a bit over protective? Maybe the cleaning machine won’t make much difference? But it gets good results and hopefully it will do the business for me

Oh it will make a difference just fine, not just for some pops, but SQ generally. I just cautioned that for some it simply will not, like my Gravenhurst.

And for the stylus it can only be a good thing. The machine might even be free if you consider the increased stylus life.

1 Like

Having already killed a apheta3 that would be a bonus if it does

If yours removes static charging as efficiently as my ultrasonic one does, you are also removing the threat of taking out the stylus because the mat stuck to the record. The white one seems to be doing this way more than the P8’s, or maybe it’s the ceramic

Mines the same, almost every record has the white felt mat stuck to it when you lift it up, my P8 didn’t seem this bad, it did do it but certainly not as much.
Platter or just mat, or maybe both, but its a pain. Or could it be the apheta 3 and the way its cut, that causes it while playing.
I guess i need to just place a record on the mat and then lift it up after a few minutes to see if the mat comes with it, obviously without playing it and see if it changes, as i guess a bit of trial and error might show up the cause

It’s totally gone after I clean. Just occasionally I get a new record and can’t wait to play it, so put it on straight out of the sleeve, that’s the only times it happens. And as I am not used to it, all the more scary.

After cleaning, the records go into Nagaoka antistatic sleeves. Not the cheapest but IMO well worth the money. Super convenient too, as they go inside the original inner sleeve, taking up essentially no space and keeping the original look and feel of the package

Most design choices are trade-offs, so in general doing something different, even on a P10 could just be making a different decision there.

Somewhere someone suggested AMG only makes a Mercedes better. I argues it increases performance at the expense of longevity, comfort and operating costs. Not all would prefer the AMG.

What surprises me is that people often don’t seem to know what trade off they’re making. Why something would or wouldn’t work and why the original designer chose to do it differently.

1 Like

Perfect anti-skate will indeed be different per record, so you just need an approximation that works on average. It won’t be audible if not exact. Mine was set by the dealer to be “still” on a blank record. I don’t think that’s technically correct, so might change it at some point. But I can’tI say that I hear more distortion on the left channel.

Does not seem to make sense because it is precisely the music information in the grooves that creates most of the force that makes bias necessary in the first place

1 Like

My Loricraft PRCM4 and L’Art du Son cleaning fluid do a good job and the results can be heard. No static problems with the RP10 mat mostly, but I find if I just lift the vinyl without taking if off the spindle that I can feel if there is likely to be a problem. Very important with an Aphelion!

Phil

People who set anti skate like that is a give away that the person has only 20% knowledge
of T.T. operations and yet are claiming to do a professional setup. Really makes my blood boil.

1 Like

I think i got some thing obvious yet unexpected from that! (I am thinking as i write)
As the coil moves in the magnetic field hopefully driven by groove modulations - equals music.
Dynamic inertia of the arm creates it’s own cantilever coil movement which all so could be
read as music unless the movements be to large to translate into the 10hz to 20k freq band.

It’s not a bad way to find a kind of reference point - particularly if your arm has a system for applying bias that is not well calibrated. However, it should only be used as a starting point and from there you then need to find the best bias while the arm and cartridge are tracing and actual modulated LP.

1 Like

Being aware of the physics is one thing. The actual R&D requires lots modelling, measurement and head scratching! Roy Gandi has a lifetime of doing it and I don’t expect he will share that for free!

I suspect the design of the cartridge and the arm can have synergies unless one uses a tangential arm (eg B&O 4000 series). I don’t know what frequency range is most problematic. Then there are other vibrations from the HiFi!

The arm has to have much more inertia than the cartridge mechanism so essentially groove movement has negligible effect on the arm. Maybe laser interferometry can be used to measure it.

Phil

I don’t think it’s actually far off. Many arms with weight based anti skate will be further off on account of having to choose one of three or four fixed settings.

Regarding using an actual LP. As groove spacing will differ per LP (even within a side), do you have a specific LP for setting it that you feel averages your collections? And do you ever change it when playing certain other records?

Are you sure? I thought it was mainly just the centripetal force from the rotation?

1 Like

From Wiki:

Due to the offset between the cartridge’s axis (which is approximately tangential to the disc) and the tonearm’s pivot, the force applied (through friction) by the rotating disc to the cartridge tends to draw the tonearm toward the center of the record

The friction in the groove is an integral part of creating the force

1 Like