Rega turntable tweaks

Have you looked at Groove Tracer?

They do new platters and sub-platters.

I’ve certainly come across them searching on the web, never seen/heard what their kit can do.
I guess my main worry is I spend a lot of cash on my P3 24 when I could just go out and get a Planar 8 and take a bigger hit but get a much better deck then use my other RP6 as a second room deck.
I think their subplatsers are quiet expensive from memory but imagine they would be an improvement, by how much I’m not sure. Also they are in the US from memory and I’m in UK so import duties and shipping times could be prohibitive especially with current macro conditions.
There’s little wrong with the P3, I just had a bit of an urge to see what could be done with it I guess!
I need to make a more complete list of options and see if any make actual sense, the ones I looked at which would make major changes were expensive like the Funk Firm tonearms and the sub platters you mention.
Have you got one on a deck or tried out their sub platters?

Yes it was many years ago (probably as many as 15). I remember being pleased with it at the time. I also used a Michell Technoweight, the arm rewired by Audio Origami and a Heed Audio PSU. It is still in the family.

In the end I thought rather than all these tweaks, why not go LP12 and be done with it. And, apart from the new motor unit, PSU, subchasis, phono stages, cartridges, plinth & bearing, it has remained exactly the same as when I bought it.

Good insight, appreciate you taking the time to share that experience.

The philosophy of Rega is the light weight and rigidity. It’s the reason why they sound fast and involving.
If you put a different platter, you will not have the Rega sound.
It can sound fine, even better, but it’s risky. Rega tt are very light weight.
I tried one day a heavy record clamp on the Rega P9. The sound was less lively.

I was reading in a magazine…Rega turntable speeds are a touch faster than what they indicated…by design…

I cannot recollect which magazine and can’t have proof of this…but the logic was to be a touch more pace to go with the belt drive.

1 Like

MPW…if that were the case, it might be that this policy has been reversed. My Rega keeps very accurate and stable time. I think, as FR suggests, that it is the low mass that is responsible for the ‘fast sound’.

No worries about anybody’s policies… :slightly_smiling_face:

Mine was just an anecdote… :grinning:

…in any case, and whatever the design responsible for the perception, I would not want to swap back to the more bassy but slower presentation of my previous LP12. Others, with no prejudice, prefer the LP12’s presentation.

Of course…

Your wish is your command :grinning:

1 Like

The reviews I’ve read in the past few years have shown this to not be the case - indeed, in some cases the opposite. I think it was Mike Fremer who measured one that was slightly fast, made something of it and it kind of stuck in the consciousness. He has revisited the issue in subsequent reviews, but it’s somewhat moot in view of the adjustable speed on the motor supplies. Ironically in his recent Planar 10 review it actually measured slightly slow (by 1%) out of the box, however the supply allows you to adjust speed so it’s bang on, so of little real consequence. Once dialled in the latest Regas are reported to have superb speed accuracy…

Hi Richard

I mentioned as much…my post was an anecdote …that’s all.

Maybe I should have added some popcorn :slightly_smiling_face:

Regards

You were right, but it was concerning the old rega models. Michael Fremer had pointed it in the past.

1 Like

Neo PSU seems to be my best next step. The new belt I put on today showed how overdue a belt change was.
New stylus going on the Goldring as well, that should keep me satisfied for the time being.
On the topic of stylus wear is there a go to method to determine when it’s time to replace. Mine is a MM with a pull off Cantilever so easy enough to do.

How are folks grounding their Rega PSU’s out of interest?
I’ve got a bell wire between it and my iFi iPhono with the PSU end looped around one of the rear casing screws as it lacks a grounding binding post.

2 Likes

Given there’s a few versions of the 8 and 10 decks is there any view here if an older version RP10 at a reasonable price is preferable to say a more recent Planar 8?

One member here found the P8 superior to Rp10.
The Rp8 is already 90 % performance of the Rp10. So probably the P8 must be close.

Don’t forget that the performance of a turntable is also paired with the cartridge and phono.
To be on Ndx2/ 555dr, you need something like ( at minimum) a Rega aria and Apheta 3.
The arm on the Rp8 is very good and can handle good MC carts.
You can find ex demo Rp8/ Apheta 2 for maybe 1,5 k, and you need around 1,5 k for a good phono ( maybe a bit less).
Don’t blame me ! I don’t want to deep your pockets :rofl:. But a turntable is really shining with a good phono.

I’ve just bought a very cheap Planar 2 (P2) that came out in about 2000 it’s for a second system and will have either my Audio Origami RB300 or a Hadcock 228 which is being rewired. I will decide which one is best on my Technics 1210 the other will go onto the P2.
I’ve been offered a Phonograph Systems 22mm Delrin Platter, aluminium sub platter, Rega TTPSU and a Peek bearing for a very reasonable price I will just need to add a 24v motor and for less than £400 I’ll have an excellent budget record player.

1 Like

Made some new choices based in part on your inputs, many thanks.

I’ve made changes as follows, on their way:

Neo PSU
Rega Strobe kit
New stylus for my Goldring 2500

Already swapped the belt and clearly that was long overdue.

Still have existing parts so could reuse most of the things I’ve added on the RP6 and then keep an eye out for a Planar 8, seems that sticking to the Rega cart options makes most sense.

I’d think at that point the phonostage might need a rethink, I’m mostly using an iFi iPhono which I’ve found to be rather good, they just brought out a new one but that’s almost £1000 so might be better options out there.

@Richard.Dane how are you grounding your Neo PSU? My existing TT PSU I run a grounding wire from to the phono stage so my assumption is I’d need to do the same when the Neo arrives.

1 Like

My Neo isn’t grounded. I’ve just set it up as standard and it’s fine.