Rega turntable tweaks

I’m not using a Neo. I have the PSU for the RP10.

Ok that’s good to know, my current TT PSU hummed without grounding as the PSU isn’t grounded on the TT PSU.
Once I ran a ground wire
between it and the phonostage it was quiet as a mouse.
Looking forward to comparing it, keeps it going for a while and avoided my original experiment plans, it sounds pretty nice as is tbh and these seemed to be more sensible changes to make.

Ahh ok, my mistake, was curious on grounding as I found without on the TT PSU it would hum.

As I carry on looking for a possible RP8 or Planar 8 is there a cartridge priority I should be considering assuming Rega stock carts and likely one already fitted rather than adding on.
Any 8 users appreciate thoughts, I’m ok with either MM or MC as can accomodate either as needed.

You’ll probably find that most fit either an Ania, Ania Pro or Apheta 2 or 3; I’d be very happy with any of them, especially the Apheta 2 or 3.

Thanks, yes they seemed to be the standard options, I’ve not been cart shopping for years so appreciate a little guidance!

When I spoke to the dealer before ordering my 6, he was very clear that the 6/Ania would be a lot better than the RP8/Exact. The Ania is very good. There is also a new Ania Pro, which is reputedly up there with the Apheta 2. If getting the 8 then the Pro seems logical at a sensible price.

Thanks appreciate the insight, need to think about the sum of the parts here a bit more including cart choice and phonostage. I’d expect once I got to this point I’d need another swap of the phonostage to make the most of the investment in an 8.
Both my decks today have above average MM carts, will keep the Goldring 2500 on th P3 anyway.

If it helps, I’m using a Fono MC with my Ania. It’s only £250 but works brilliantly with the Ania. I guess it would be fine with the Aria Pro. I did think about the 8 but it would have needed a new wall shelf and the drilling that entails. It’s possible to go up and up so I decided to compromise with the 6. It’s supposed to be miles better than the old RP6 so might be enough. It depends how important vinyl is in your life I suppose.

The Rega option is an obvious choice agreed.
I already have the RP6, inevitably there’s always better but as with yourself given the time I have to actually sit and listen to vinyl the balance needs to be struck at some points and most of us have limits to factor in.
Given I’ve been at home far more than usual and I’ve been working in the room where the RP6 lives, I’ve been finding myself listening more and that spurred me on to do some modest tweaks and also have a think where I might make more significant changes like a move to an 8.
When I moved to the Supernait 3 the idea was I would resurect my older RP3 24 and move the RP6 on to the Nait system, I have a spare Fraim shelf it could live on but the floor is parquet with a room beneath it so unless you sit practically motionless whilst listening there is a little flex in the floor.
Ultimately if I did want to go that route I’d need a wall mounted shelf for a deck and that may be aesthically a step to far and be frowned upon, I just about got away with the Fraim as It just replaced the Isoblue rack which in many ways looked nicer but never really let the better Naim kit perform at its best, those problems are sufficiently solved for now.
So the conclusion may be that once I’ve done my current tweaks I take a look at moving on both existing decks and have one somewhat better one in the basement system which is on a solid concrete floor sitting on top a Hutter rack.
Despite thinking originally the SN3 would be nice with an occasional use deck running in to it I’m now thinking that might not be the best longer term plan.
I do enjoy vinyl playback a lot and used to listen that way most of the time and have a reasonable collection which continues to grow gradually.
Today I’m using an iFi iPhono which has DIP switches that let you align it to almost any MM or MC cartridge so even if that was an interim solution I’d expect it to handle any of the Rega carts sufficiently, I’ve found it capable and enjoyable to use so far with no issues.
I’d expect at that point the amp would be the weakest link as it’s just running in to my aging but still capable Arcam AV amp which is part of a 5.1 system.
I’d considered adding in either a Nova (mainly as a 1 box solution) or possibly a Supernait 2, to drive the front channels and then at some point replace the AV amp with something more modern and in doing so sort out the cabling spaghetti behind it all.
I could do of course do the original tweaks of adding boing or Isonoe feet to one of the Rega decks to let it work better in the office Naim system with the SN3 + NDX2 but it seems that might take away from the Rega the things its built to
be good at.
Hopefully the first steps replacing the belt and adding in the NEO PSU will be a nice refresh anyway and I can always put the NEO on the RP6 and look at maybe a new cart on it to push that a bit further.
Thanks for help and adding some perspective anyway, always appreciated especially from folks like yourself that have personal experience.

1 Like

Neo swapped in and speed checked with strobe kit, all good. The new stylus arrived same time as a bonus so got it running and playing again today, sounding better than ever.

3 Likes

Have you noticed that when you play 45s the Rega logo turns green? Very clever.

Yes quite neat, still earthed it via the Phonostage, quieter that way.
Did the Rega strobe adjustment up front, behaves slightly differently to the TT PSU it replaced but speed is now tuned and stable, glad I did the belt at the same time, that was pretty baggy when it came off, my bad.
New stylus sounds quite different to the one it replaced, probably was good timing to sort that after all it seems despite the cost.

My 2-pennorth…

It’s been a looong time since I sold on my LP12 when I moved to CD., but if I was still vinyled up, I’d give serious consideration to auditioning a Rega.

I just absolutely love the minimalist look as opposed to the old-fashioned “boxy”-looking Linn.

If the sound quality was at least as good at the price level, I’d make the change simply on that basis…

Carry on. :blush:

1 Like

Afternoon everyone
BC (before children) I had a classic Linn/Naim system and the endless tweaks/upgrades bug bit me as hard as anyone. Fancy (Mana) tables, dedicated mains spur, exotic cables etc. And, although I was a ‘keen’ audiophile, my one great love was the music.
Inevitably, as wife, career, growing children etc took their inevitable toll, my beloved LP12 was sold off and replaced by one of those new-fangled silver disc spinners - not as good as vinyl, but hellishly convenient and not as susceptible to toddlers jam-encrusted fingers etc. Over time my cherished vinyl collection was sold and my world went digital.
Now, AD (approaching divorce) I have returned to Hi-Fi (the music never left me) and I have a Naim UnitiStar, Naim UnitiServe, trusty-old Yamaha tape deck (for the 1000+ tapes a lifelong love of music has seen me acquire) feeding Naim SBL’s retained from the good old days. I decided to get back into vinyl and, to finally get to the point, ‘invested’ in a Rega RP3 which not only gave me the opportunity to play the 300-odd albums I seem to have acquired over the past couple of years, but also the chance to indulge in some turntable tweekery - at a lesser price point than years before with my Linn.
Tweaks I have now made include the Neo Power Supply, Phono preamp and most recently, a Tangospinner sub-platter and record clamp. All of the aforementioned have made a difference to the sound - and to these ears, an improvement. The RP3 was a great TT to get back into vinyl with and I’m sure that over time, an upgrade to another vibration measuring machine may happen, but for now, I’m just enjoying the tunes.

5 Likes

I’ve yet to put the strobe on mine. But now that it has about 30 hours on it . . . I shall report back.

I’m a fan, but I do believe that this is not fandom talking. They are excellent values. Excellent in the performance : price ratio. Especially in the upper-middle of the range; P6 and P8. I’m not dissing my P10, but maybe even better “value” just below?? It’s often the case . . . and always hard to quantify.

Mine wasn’t far off but was running a touch slow according to the strobe. I figured as I was getting the Neo I may as well do it properly.
That and the new stylus I’m finding it as enjoyable as ever and glad to have done a loop by on here to sanity check my tweaking logic.
Normal service has resumed and glad to have a little more slack than usual to flick through some vinyl for a change.
I could go further but my instincts tell me I’d be better rewarded holding back and getting a Planar 8 when funds allow and enjoying what I’ve got till then.
Certainly a fan of Rega decks having gone down the Linn/Thorens route in the past, I found the true rewards there lay beyond what my budget permitted then and probably now realistically.
You get a lot for your money with a Rega and having had a mix of 3’s and 6’a so far feel a stretch to an 8 would be a nice experiment in the same vein.

1 Like

My Planar 2 (P2 , 2002) has arrived and I’m waiting for the 24v motor upgrade kit which I bought used and also a TTPSU Mk2, Phonograph systems aluminium Sub platter and Delrin main platter and the seller has thrown in a Peek ceramic bearing and a new silicone belt.
I have an Audio Origami fully modded RB300 which has been rewired inside and out, the arm tube has been foam filled and has a chrome polished finished it also has the upgraded tungsten counterweight.
Then I’ll mount the Hadcock 228 that’s been rewired with pure silver litz on my Technics 1210 and which ever arm sounds best on my 1210 will stay on there the other will go on the Rega that’s unless of course the Rega P2/RB300 totally outshines the Hadcock/1210
in which case the it will go in my main system and the 1210 in my 2nd.

1 Like

I’d have preferred a Neo but the TTPSU was a steal and will be grounded to my phono stage as described by Mr.M above which is an excellent ad extremely cheap tweak.