Rega turntable tweaks

Just added a Neo to my planer 25. Added the 24v motor a few years back. Sold the original rega motor for the same price as the 24v kit!
A quick speed cal. Using the mobile phone and all good.

Here are some pictures of the Delrin platter, aluminium sub platter and the TTPSU that I have just bought when it’s all fitted on to the P2 I’ll post some pictures.

4 Likes

Wow that puts my tweaking list to shame for sure!
Never heard the Delrin platter, be keen to hear your thoughts on the setup once it’s up and running.
I must say I’ve been happy with the new belt and the Neo, I have a new stylus as well but it’s certainly sounding a lot better even with the somewhat minor things I’ve done so far.
I do miss my Technics…

1 Like

Don’t you just love free upgrades!!!
I paid £89 inc p&p for a used Rega 24v upgrade kit and like you will remove the old motor and sell it along with the platter ad sub platter the motors do fetch a good price used and are very good quality they where also used in LP12’s.
It’s possible to site the old motor ‘off board’ detached from the plinth which will remove all the nasty noise caused by vibrations and will give the same improvement as adding the 24v motor it won’t however give push button speed change and better pitch once you add either a Neo or TTPSU.
You can however still isolate the motor if you so wish using a second base or plinth the pictures below are from a Croatian company Nimak and you can also buy a very similar product from SRM called ‘Silent Base’.
I wouldn’t presume to think you can improve on Rega’s new designs and it probably completely goes against Rega’s simple is better philosophy but if it’s and old deck you want mod like mine then it may just work and the SRM in jet black for £125 might be just the thing.

1 Like

As I’ve mentioned above I’m messing about with an old budget P2 from 20 years ago so a lot of the tweaks I’m describing are probably addressing issues already improved upon in the newer Rega’s and the more extreme ones like the motor isolation is probably something I wouldn’t do to a record player I’d shelled out a £1,000 or more on.

With my P10/Aphelion2/SuperLine/Supercap:

Just now I swapped in the oem 500R plug for my 100R Airplug Z-Foil. I thought the 500R gave a much “punchier” sound; punchier bass and maybe even a little more clarity at the top (treble) end. This was just with one track so far.

Tempted to get a 500R (well, 435 I think is how they do the Z-Foils) Airplug. Any other experiences? I searched this thread but didn’t see any.

1 Like

I’m trying to get the 453R airplug (non essential resistance during lockdown!) though my RP10/Aphelion/Superline/Supercap combo sounds amazing enough already with the 500R & 1nF.

Can you describe what you hear going from 100R to 500R?

@kuma which AirPlug value did you settle on for Aphelion / Superline?

It seems like a curtain has been pulled from in front of the music room with the 500R. I just swapped back the 100R and you get a hint of what is in the track but with the 500R it is clearer - treble and depth mainly. I’ve been noticing more clarity and spacing in everything I’ve listened to since the swap.

1 Like

Uptick for avoiding using “it was though a veil had been lifted”… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I have 2 Airplugs coming (at some point in the near future) – a 453R and a 470R (with the deep-cryo z-foil resistors). I’ll evaluate and keep one.

1 Like

I’ve just bought a used gloss black Plinth taken from a P1 for £22 inc p&p so I think I’ll try the motor tweak mentioned above isolating into a secondary plinth placed under the deck.
As you can see there is already a recess cut out to site the motor in. The two plinths are then isolated from each other using four sorbothane domes which I already have somewhere.
I just need to work out how the PCB board and cover containing the two power output sockets will fit in.

2 Likes

Did you use a Groovetracer subplatter at any point?

Hi,

Is it possible to get a Rega turntable in UK minus tonearm… ?

I have a RB330 sitting in my home and nothing to do do I was wondering if this option is available…so I could get another turntable going for me apart from the Lenco L75…

Best,

No I have just bought a Phonography Systems aluminium sub platter as soon as I’ve fitted it I’ll post my findings. Prior to this my only Rega experience was an original Planar 3.

An option could be a used Rega minus an arm which are plentiful on used sites in the UK I just bought a 20 year old P2 fully working but minus an arm for £75 but are they as plentiful on the used market in India?

1 Like

Thank you !

Here…there is no market at all…that’s why when I looked at your project I found it interesting…

My RB330 is sleeping and potentially I could have an alternate turntable for not much…

Do you search for these on flea bay UK?

I found mine on one of the other general hifi forums that have a classified section but they are also available on flea bay UK. As your probably aware the other parts sub platters, platters and motors are widely available both in Europe and the U.S

For a cheap 2nd table I’d search flea bay for an older Planar 2 or 3 then if you wish to upgrade some of the parts that’s up to you. The great thing about Rega’s is that they are a very simple design and so easy to work on.

1 Like

Auction sites should be a good source, if you aren’t overly fussed about the bracing you can just setup a watcher/reminder for suitable donors like an older Planar 1 for example.
Curious of experiences with sub platters and bearings.
Delrin platter would be nice but not cheap!